Tinned/canned food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
matt. absolutely sure. saw it b4 max was out !! i would love to see it again but have no idea what it was called.. i do remember some very funny bits tho.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
xylaria said:
:D

Carnation have started to do caramel in tins so you dont have to do this. It is really thick solid stuff just like what you get from boiling condensed milk. We brought some to the NW meet last weekend. Had it on baked bananas. [aaaagghhh drrooolll]

The easiest way of carring a tin IMHO is get one the kids to do it, if they want hot syrup pudding they can carry the can both full and empty :D

My local Tesco has started doing condensed milk in one litre tins.......Serious sugar rush....... :red:

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
JURA said:
matt. absolutely sure. saw it b4 max was out !! i would love to see it again but have no idea what it was called.. i do remember some very funny bits tho.

Right,

My challenge is to find this film!

EDIT: JURA,

You need to give me a bit more matey - I'm not having much luck. Was it definitely truckers? What else can you remember? PM me.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Longstrider said:
In the colder months we like to cook up what we have come to call our "3 Tin Stew"

1 tin of good stewing steak
1 tin of mixed veg
1 tin of new potatoes.

Just empty the cans into the billy/trangia after draining off some of the fluid from the veg and spuds, then cook for about 10 minutes. Lovely grub !

If you're cooking over a fire you can eat from the billy, then add a handful of fine ash to the messy billy with some water from any local source (does not have to be drinkable water) and boil again. A vigourous attack with a stick and a good stir before tipping the water out leaves the billy clean enough to put away after a quick wipe witha piece of kitchen roll or a cloth ;)
(Fat from the meat + Lye from the ashes = a form of soap)
My favourite too! But I tip the three tins into a pour N store bag from lidl, it just fits nice in a swedish trangia with a few of inches of water in the bottom, so no washing up and water is hot for a brew ath the same time.
I could just buy boil in the bag stuff, but they cost a fortune for a half meal, this could feed two people easily and possibly three with some bread thrown in.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I dont eat much tinned stuff as I prefer fresh, but my store is full of tins...for use in an emergency, or because Im jaded.

A regular tinned favorite with me is beans and sausages (or similar product)

I have lots of just beans too, though these often end up in stews, curries and the like. I rarley have just beans on toast.

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
1 tin new potatoes
1 small salami
Nob of butter
Black Pepper
Peprika

Slice and saute the spuds in the butter. Add chopped salami, pepper and peprika. Toss about a bit until the spuds take on a golden brown colour. Eat from the pan and use a bread roll to mop up the butter and bits left. Loverly breakfast.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Sainsbury's do some nice ready-made tinned curries which I like to take out with me. I tend to empty the contents into a ziplok bag to save space, then roll it up and stuff it inside a sock to prevent it bursting. If it does burst then it just messes up your sock and not your whole pack.
They're obviously not as nice as a proper curry down your local Star of Bengal but then they're only a tenth of the price.

Also my old Gran gave me a recipe for baked bean soup which is alot nicer than it sounds. I'll see if I can find it and post it up.

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
PJMCBear said:
1 tin new potatoes
1 small salami
Nob of butter
Black Pepper
Peprika

Slice and saute the spuds in the butter. Add chopped salami, pepper and peprika. Toss about a bit until the spuds take on a golden brown colour. Eat from the pan and use a bread roll to mop up the butter and bits left. Loverly breakfast.

I have to try that. Thanks for the recipe, so very simple ! Going to be yummy yummy in my tummy !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE