Tinkering again

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Just seen these mentioned in an American backpacking book..

http://www.zzstove.com/sierra.html

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=+sierra+stove&_sacat=0&_odkw=ZZ+sierra&_osacat=0&_from=R40

So to satisfy Chisellers demands for a simmer;), these stoves incorporate a multi speed fan. It's complicating things but you could fit a variable resistor or something (potentiometer- AKA a volume knob off an old defunct TV ? Audio device) Could be wrong though?

One of these..http://www.maplin.co.uk/standard-potentiometers-with-switch-2208

Keep up the good work mate !

jon

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Simmering. Never thought of that problem. Hmmm. Maybe I could either modify the pot stand in some way to adjust height or pan control. To be honest though its still impressive without the fan running.
Soon as I get a finished one sorted you'll have to have a look at it chiseller. I'll sort you one out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Tartanferret a pot would work fine for the fan control or maybe a lid to cover some top her holes. Just concerned that the thermoelectric jobby might be quite expensive. At the moment I'm experimenting with different voltage fans.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Tartanferret a pot would work fine for the fan control or maybe a lid to cover some top her holes. Just concerned that the thermoelectric jobby might be quite expensive. At the moment I'm experimenting with different voltage fans.

Having just googled the thermoelectric things... my brain has just melted:(

On a similar note though, A friend of mine used to use ice packs under his Playstation to cool it down and swap them every so often. Perhaps you could do the same with cans of beer?:)

NB. They did not touch the casing of the playstation..:yikes::.. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS :nono:

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Reckon a non fan assisted model would be more mybag.. Not reyt bothered for a super fast brew, just efficient an free fuel.. :thumbup:

...... Failed dogger and alleged bigot!

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Not tried a kelly kettle, but have considered getting one just to see if I could rig it us as a kind of steam powered genny.

Din't realise you were from sunny Barnsley (mostly use tapatalk), I am the resident magician at escapades down your way

Sep 25, 2011
Oxford
Hello ive been making one of these too but slightly different hole positions ect as im copying the woodgas stove xl as much as possible in that area. I plan to try what might be a usefull addition to your nice build - to seal the lower holes in the outer wall instead of useing alu tape, use rivets of the right size. Mine will also have the upper holes done in this way. To early to tell if rivets are sealing well enough on mine as its not finished, but if it doesnt seal completely ill try smearing a little thermo steel around them. To power 12volts you can get battery holders of 8 AA size and this would provide 12 volts. To lower the fan speed use a holder with less batteries? Can you post some pics and any more helpfull hints from your finished project? Is the insulation enough to stop your fan from melting? Also have you seen this - http://www.instructables.com/id/Large-portable-wood-gasifier-Campfire-in-a-can/ Might it be possible to build a big one like this but using a catering soup ketle to provide 10 litres of readymade woodgas chamber loveliness?

Last edited by a moderator:

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Hello ive been making one of these too but slightly different hole positions ect as im copying the woodgas stove xl as much as possible in that area. I plan to try what might be a usefull addition to your nice build - to seal the lower holes in the outer wall instead of useing alu tape, use rivets of the right size. Mine will also have the upper holes done in this way. To early to tell if rivets are sealing well enough on mine as its not finished, but if it doesnt seal completely ill try smearing a little thermo steel around them. To power 12volts you can get battery holders of 8 AA size and this would provide 12 volts. To lower the fan speed use a holder with less batteries? Can you post some pics and any more helpfull hints from your finished project? Is the insulation enough to stop your fan from melting? Also have you seen this - http://www.instructables.com/id/Large-portable-wood-gasifier-Campfire-in-a-can/ Might it be possible to build a big one like this but using a catering soup ketle to provide 10 litres of readymade woodgas chamber loveliness?

Hi James,
To be honest, I've sort of knocked this stove design on the head, and left it non fan powered (I just couldn't get hold of the perfect thermoelectric generator for my needs) and didn't want to have a separate power source.
The ali tape on mine was from experimenting with holes further up the combustion chamber when I had insulation in the bottom, my current stove doesn't need these holes.
The insulation I used in the end was rockwool, tightly packed in the bottom, with fireproof plasterboard on top (smeared with fire cement). This plasterboard has to make a good seal, otherwise air from the fan will come through the combustion chamber, instead of up the inner chamber.
The jet holes at the top need to be no bigger than 2mm, otherwise the 'roaring superheat effect' is reduced. (I went through several designs and found 2mm to be the best)
The insulation worked perfectly, causing no damage to the fan in any way. If you are fitting a TEG, then you need to allow room for the heat sink on the back of it.
The final fan powered design had a smaller fan seated between the bottom layers, so it was flush with the bottom (looked really smart, but pointless without the TEG in my opinion)
I since gave that prototype stove away to a good friend, who has used it (non powered), but with the large hole in the base where the fan used to be caused a BIG problem. The heat from the inner chamber, when running at full tilt on small narrow twigs or rattan will burn a crater into whatever it sits on.

If you are making one, then leave out the centre holes as the wood gas ignites here too, lowering the effect from the top ones. I'd only go with a fan powered one if you are happy carrying batteries or can get the right TEG. Otherwise as a non powered stove, they are excellent as is.

Sorry but I don't have any other pictures of the further process of this design, as at the moment I'm still tinkering with an instant boil wood stove using copper pipe and a water bladder.

Best of luck with your stove mate, I'd like to hear how you get on and see some pictures. Be warned, they are addictive. As for the large on, it would be too big for me, I want it to be portable. The concept is the same though.

Finally, you can use these like hobo stoves (fire at base, and build it up) and they still gasify, as well as the inverted downdraft method.

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
Ive got a similar woodgas stove, made from a cooler from Ocado. Just wondered about feet and raising it up?
Also could I have a picture of the botttom? Hole sizes etc?
L

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Ive got a similar woodgas stove, made from a cooler from Ocado. Just wondered about feet and raising it up?
Also could I have a picture of the botttom? Hole sizes etc?
L

My last one has no holes in the base. The holes at the bottom were reamed out to about 14mm, the jet holes at the top were 2mm. The holes at the bottom of the combustion chamber were 6mm.
I'll dig it out and get some pictures tomorrow mate.

touched by his noodly appendage

Sep 25, 2011
Oxford
Thanks for the reply. Im not sure where exactly your stoves holes are positioned and how many of each. Can you write a bit more how you went about drilling and reaming the holes through the steel. Do you use a drill press? I struggled for ages with a electric hand drill and broke loads of drill bits.

It sounds like your design works well without a fan where this one definately needs it. I would like to try to make a no fan light simple portable one too . Please post any and all details of the final working design that you got to even if its just a detailed description but photos would be very usefull.

How the .... do you drill through that with a 2mm bit without breaking? It sounds like the holes at the top on yours are smaller than the lower ones. I thought it was usually the other way round. The woodgas xl has 10 3.2mm holes About 1cm from the floor of the burn chamber and 31 4.8mm ones 1cm down around the top (its 12cm diameter). Ive reduced this to 8 x 3.2 and 26 x 4.8 to fit the smaller 10cm diameter and maintain a similar proportion.

I tried a burn in it yesterday but the 8aa batteries didnt provide 12volts and so not enough power from the fan ( ihope thats what it was ) to gassify well. I cant understand how the heat from the whole thing didnt transmit to your fan mounted inside the pot, what fan did you use? I am trying with a 60x60mm x15mm 12v cpu fan made of plastic. When its fully powered it blows through quite well so just need to remount it and try again. I will post a video on you tube of it when its going.

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
Bump

Also, do you fancy selling me a few hundred grammes or your pellet fuel? Wanna try a burn out on that,

My last one has no holes in the base. The holes at the bottom were reamed out to about 14mm, the jet holes at the top were 2mm. The holes at the bottom of the combustion chamber were 6mm.
I'll dig it out and get some pictures tomorrow mate.

touched by his noodly appendage

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE