Tinder idea (from home)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
Maybe this is already known but anyway, practicing yesterday in the garden I discovered that a very good tinder for taking firesteel sparks is fluff out of the tumble drier (!). It weighs nothing and is extremely dry; I now keep a plastic bag next to the machine for emptying the filter.

Maybe with a few people in a survival situation you could collect enough navel fluff to get a fire going... Just a thought.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I carry tumble drier lint, birch bark and lengths of inner tube in my tinder pouch.

Swmbo could never understand why I took an interest in the washing all of a suddden.

Waldganger

Forager
Aug 13, 2009
Esperance, WA
we don't use our drier very often, but there was a little bit in there.

wonder if the neighbor will think strange of me for asking them about theirs?

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Hey Bravo4 - what about A BCUK one?

Just a thought :)

ATB
Dave

Sure, the criteria is pretty broad. I'm not really into the team/club thing but these guys are poking fun at it, :cool:.

"Is your team/club serious about not taking itself too seriously?"
Heck yeah!?

I think I'll make it through this life without a facebook page, so that part is out of my hands.

Check your pockets, Dozza. Bits of lint seem to amass deep in the cracks of pockets as does sock lint beneath the innersoles of your shoes.

Last edited:

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
If you use dryer lint, make sure that you use a small, light tumble dryer as they can get to feel pretty heavy after the first few miles! :eek:

And finding a place to plug it in can take ages...
happy0009.gif

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
I've used cotton wool balls before, probably not much difference to be honest - except your way is cheaper, nice one! I'm off to the laundromat!

Last edited:

MI5_Dog

Mar 5, 2010
Perth
Some clothing can be treated with a fire retardant chemical and so lint from a dryer may not perform consistently. You may find that cotton balls are more reliable.

hogstable

Forager
Nov 18, 2004
sheffield
Perhaps in one way more expensive to buy but I place great store in cotton wool balls with / without vaseline. Sure it costs about a quid, quid fifty for 100 of the little beggars but by not using the tumble drier a few times you can buy it for 'free'. Also don't smell of burning hairs when used.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE