Tinder Fungus Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kieran725

Sep 10, 2006
London
I Have finaly managed to get some Horse Shoe Fungus (Fomes fomentarius). What do I have to do to make it into a useful tinder I am very new to this so any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks

Kieran

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
If you get the correct outer layer the stuff will take a spark from a modern firestick without preperation!

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
It's hard to catch a spark in Horseshoe Fungus without some preparation. Most people char it. There is a thin spongy layer just under the outside layer that some people take out and soak in "strong urine" (potassium nitrate). This will then catch a spark real fast, and burn fairly hot to start your fire.

The fungus you need to find is called Tinder Conch or Tinder Fungus - innonotus obliquus. It grows mostly on Birch trees.
Inonotus obliquus.jpg

The outside is hard black and kind of spiky. The inside is reddish orange, sometimes with white specks. The inside is the part you need. It will catch a spark without any preparation, right off of the tree. And once your spark catches, it will be be very hard to put out. It will spread throughout the whole chunk.

I hope this helps.

Mike Ameling

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Jeff Wagner said:
Mike - I believe Inonotus obliquus grows only in the US. However, I have it on good authority that Cramp Balls makes a suitable alternative in the UK - at least for fire piston fodder.

As far as Rogers and this site Inonotus obliquus grows quite readlily on the Silver Birch (Betula pendula ). across North America and most of Northern Europe, northern Scotland etc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE