Tinder bundles! What do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
So I was hoping for some ideas for tinder bundles for using bow drill/hand drill. My favourite is scraped bamboo (if I have some handy) and some dried grass with some thistle heads in the top just for Oomf!

So what do you guys use? What plants/trees can you use?

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Cat tail works quite nicely. The fluff from inside rosebay willowherb when properly dried but a brilliantly. I don't use natural that often but like to use them now and again to keep the skills sharp

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I don't know about tinder for a bow drill, I use a ferrocerium rod fire steel? & For Tinder I like to use:~
Kapok & Maya dust. Kapok is a fluffy yellowish fibre which surrounds the seed pods of the Ceiba pentandra tree, the (national emblem of Guatemala)

Kapok_seeds

Kapok is the most used common name for the tree.

Adult trees produce several hundred 15cm (6in) seed pods.
The fluffy, yellowish fibre (Kapok) is a mix of lignin and cellulose. The fibre is light, resistant to water & very flammable. It will light very easily from the flurry of sparks produced when you strike your fire steel.

Maya sticks (Fatwood) for kindling
Because of the flammability of terpene in fatwood it is prized as kindling for use in starting fires. It is derived from the heartwood of pine trees. This resin-impregnated heartwood becomes hard and rot-resistant. The stump (and tap root) left in the ground after a tree has fallen or has been cut is an excellent source of fatwood. it lights quickly even when wet, is very wind resistant, and burns hot enough to light larger pieces of wood.

by shaving small curls from a small piece of fatwood you can create tinder A.K.A . Maya dust which can be used to light other larger tinder/kindling, such as fatwood,

This should wet your appetite :~ A brilliant site for bushcraft related pyrotechnics & bushcraft essentials http://www.sharkdesigns.co.uk/home_pages/1_fire_online_store.html

http://www.beaverbushcraft.co.uk/ourshop/prod_3485329-Mark-Hordons-The-Fire-Buddy.html

Last edited:

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
I'm more angling at the bundle side of things! I know cedar bark works well because it's very fibrous, but what bits make up the bundle?

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I'm more angling at the bundle side of things! I know cedar bark works well because it's very fibrous, but what bits make up the bundle?
apparently just ceder bark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RPM4cClpWk

OK Tommy on that note again I'm only guessing here but could a bundle of cedar bark with a Kapok & Maya dust heart work with a bow drill, I'm no expert but I think this could be a very flammable bundle due to the mix of lignin and cellulose in the kapok there would also be oxygen trapped in the fibers of the kapok, just a thought

How about you give it a try? kapok its not dear to buy because its so light
10 grams is loads

Shark Tinderbox Natural Kapok Tinder - 10 grams IN STOCK £1.95 (inc VAT)

You could fling in some jute twine fibers for good measure.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The last batch of bundles I made, I used a thin layers of birchbark, and in the centre of that I piled up the scrapings from the bark, some crumbles of chaga, dried reedmace seed fluff/thistle down, dried mugwort, and the shreddings from making amadou (fomes fomentarius, hoofnail fungus) I wrap the birch bark around the rest like a wee parcel and tie it up with string made from the leaves of the cattails.
Untie it and there's both the coal catcher, the spark catching stuff, the extenders and the means to lift the whole lot up to blow it into flame :)

It makes a neat tidy parcel to stuff away in a pouch, a pocket or a pack.

All of it's easily found in the UK and shouldn't cost you a ha'penny. If you don't have chaga, use cramp balls, if you don't have fomes use one of the other bracket fungi.

cheers,
Toddy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I like the sound of your little premade firestarter bouquet garni Toddy.
I usually keep my stuff seperate in my pouch but your little balls of fire :D have given me some ideas, cheers.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
I tend to use whatever is to hand tbh. Anything fluffy! ....well. Within reason! Lots of nervous looking sheep and bunnies. I usually take a few bits of papery birch bark which is in abundance around south west Scotland, scrape my blade over
It to "powder" it a bit for want of a better word. Then nest that in grasses, pine needles, more birch bark...

I'm assuming we mean natural tinder? .....is belly button fluff natural? :D

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Haha! The heart, as long as it's soft fluffy and dry will work, the different combinations will help because of different resins and cellulose levels ect.

Trying to find out what other trees have fibrous bark! No cedars growing around here :(

And YES belly button fluff counts! ;)

Dry grass, long pine needles - cedar bark if it's a wet day when you are gathering it. Coir is marvelous if one is not being picky about using local material. Nearly anything that's dry and fluffy will work if you have a good ember. The shavings from shaping the hearth and spindle will often work for part of it.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Dry grass works for me.
If I am getting posh then dried grass mixed with shreds of Birch Bark, thistle/Reedmace/Rosebay fluff and wrapped/topped with very fine Birch twigs and bigger bits of Birch bark.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Jute twine - fluff it up and it makes excellent tinder and ball.

Jute twine seems massively under-rated to me. Sure, paracord is stronger, but also much more expensive. And lets face it, for bushcrafting purposes, jute twine is often more than adequate.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Tumble dryer lint, that has been waxed.

It stays dry, rub it vigorously and some wax comes off and it takes a spark very easily. The wax makes it burn and smoulder slowly enough for you to get some kindling on such as small sticks and twigs etc.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE