Tin openers.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I compared it to various ring pulls on tins and the ends too rounded to get under the edge easily but five minutes with a file will sort that. I wont bring it to a knife edge as that would be weak and you use the tip to open the blade out from the body of the SAK and I'd end up stabbing myself under a nail if was that sharp..

I'll do a before and after pic if anyones interested.

Atb

Tom

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
This hook is pretty practical if you want to pull out lightweight tent stakes.
That's why you find it at the Compact that's optimised for hiking and trekking.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think most surplus freaks bought sooner or later the little American, but we all simply have the SAK in the pocket.

No easy competition for everybody else.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The one that Victorinox have on their knives is excellent. The fact that you have a useful range of other things with it makes it arguably more attractive than a separate opener, which can easily be lost or mislaid.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If I understood it right, the P38 came with every ration new. A long lasting throw away article.
And everything bigger would weigh nearly as much as the SAK.

I recently understood that the American tin openers are a good option for Japan, because the toolset there has to follow a different legal frame.
There you legally can go with
Can opener P38 / P51
Victorinox Executive
Morakniv Eldris
Nata
Pocket saw

Yes, in the country of Samurai swords Executive and Eldris represent the longest blades that you are allowed to carry without good reason. Only exception is the Nata, a machete similar Japanese chopping knife.

Last edited:

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
This wee fella has been on my keys for years now and has never let me down when called upon!

Seems to be being utilised a lot less these days, as most cans have ring pulls on them nowadays.
ebf0e02da3b8e07e035995d9b96ef0fd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
On the rare occasion that I use a tin I've tended to use the tin opener on my clasp knife, the only issue is it's a struggle to open the knife itself, no amount of oiling the joint will ease up the pressure from the spring.

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
5 mins with a diamond file and a couple of seconds with the power file altered this

FPcy0F3.jpg

to this

iyXV5hA.jpg

I've tried it on a couple of cans and it works great, it will save me inumerable broken nails, if i rember i'm carrying the thing.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Nah but tinned tomatoes and baked beens will be the main part of our diet for the foreseeable future. Good for your colon I'm told. Not mine, as after the fourth meal on the trot with them herself will be lodging her boot up there she's promised...

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
In the field, a genuine P38 and until I repair my SAK, I have the use of a LM Juice opener of which I had to modify to make it usable, of which is no way as good as the SAK. But if am on more of a ' drive to ' camp, I have this cast iron monster that will open anything - when I got it I replaced the blade to include extending the spike and painted the thing in moo colours.

And what's wrong with the SAK, well, I snapped the opener off whilst using the opener as a pry tool in a situation where there was nothing else available to work with. So the SAK, an old Champion model, of which was given to me in the late seventies is need of an overhaul for it has been thoroughly hammered over the years, to think to need to find a Ranger model to supply the parts I need.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE