Tin openers.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Limey Pete

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2021
pnom, penh
Often convenient foods to pack in the rucksack to take into the countryside are tins.
I used to take tins of Irish stew and heat them on a stove or campfire and they made a good meal.
Many other tins of food are available in the supermarket, however some now have pull ring and do not need a tin opener.
For the ones that require a tin opener what do members prefer. There is the butterfly tin opener with the turn key, and there is the stab tin opener with the screw bottle cork extractor. The butterfly tin opener has a bottle cap opener, which is handy, or maybe member prefer other tin openers.
Please discuss . . .

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Most SAKs have a tin opener...but of course you have to know how to use it.

The old army one works in the opposite way!

Reactions: Winnet

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Age related, I suppose but I am starting to experience real difficulty opening tins with the conventional hand-crank device. So much so that I've been considering an electric tin opener for the kitchen. I can only imagine then to transfer the contents to plastic containers, snap lids, for outdoor use.

The ring pull tins are an great convenience. Not many yet but olives and fruit like peaches and pears are packaged like that. Smoked oysters and mussels have been in those flat tins for ages.

Demographically, it's no secret that the western population of people is aging. Those ring pull tins are going to become much more prevalent and soon.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I prefer the ones that look a bit like a parrots beak or some such that you just move up and down along the rim to cut it open.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Brute force with a regular Victorinox can opener.

Still haven't tried with Victorinox combo tool, like on the Walker though.

my favourite can opener was my (original) p38 (not to be confused with the pistol or aircraft :p ) which i carried many years until i lost it somewhere between New Zealand and Singapore :'( -- i got some cheap copies which aren't in the same class quality size but so far i haven't found an original one reasonable prized...
my second favourite is one made out of carbon steel for the handle and stainless steel for the "opening hook" -- part of which was all what was sticking out of the ground on a mountain trail in Japan. a wire brush and some oil restored it to working order and now it's part of my outdoor cooking kit
occasionally i've also used the can opener on my original Leatherman Supertool (before it got robbed)

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
SAK of course!
For me all my life exclusively the SAK, always and everywhere.

The version on the Climber is better for groop cooking. The version on the Compact is absolutely OK for normal use, it works in the opposite direction and serves as a bottle opener too.

P38, P51 or the German army cuttlery kit are other field options. But 99,9 % of all tins that I opened during the last 50 years I opened with the SAK, if there wasn't a pull ring. The other 0,1% I opened in pyjamas or sport shorts in foreign kitchens, when I hadn't the knife in the pocket or because I wanted to try out a foreign one out of a technical interest.

I think the usual Victorinox opener that's mounted in the Climber is the best can opener in the world. Others may work faster but afterwards you need to clean them. The Victorinox openers are cleaned easily within a second. I just lick it clean of course.

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Another Swiss Army Knife tin opener fan here. I've never come across a tin it couldn't open. Many a time a ring pull has broken & a SAK has come to the rescue.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
IMG_20210711_103320857.jpg

I used to carry this because it's got the ease of a full sized opener but the rounded shape sits well in a pack. It's one of those "reinvent the wheel" openers that sits on the top of the tin and cuts through the seam.
I haven't carried tins for years due to the weight.

Reactions: Nice65

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Yes, only a meat tin is worth to carry around but the garbage problem often stays unpleasant.
One can eat it if one found a public dust bin somewhere.

A meat tin serves well as iron ration though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy-o

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I used the SAK or when I wasn’t carrying t hat the blade of my Opinel and one memorable occasion my machete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Age related, I suppose but I am starting to experience real difficulty opening tins with the conventional hand-crank device. So much so that I've been considering an electric tin opener for the kitchen. I can only imagine then to transfer the contents to plastic containers, snap lids, for outdoor use.

The ring pull tins are an great convenience. Not many yet but olives and fruit like peaches and pears are packaged like that. Smoked oysters and mussels have been in those flat tins for ages.

Demographically, it's no secret that the western population of people is aging. Those ring pull tins are going to become much more prevalent and soon.
Problem with the ring pull tins is the size of the ring.
Dunno about everyone else but I have fairly big hands and the ring pull is too small and I end up using my little finger on it. Not the best.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Tend to use the SAK flat screwdriver/bottle opener on ring pulls, particularly on drinks cans.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
SAK, or on occasion the one on the Leatherman if I've a reason to carry it instead.

One thing thats occurred to me just now is the parcel string hook on the wider SAKs like my Ranger suitable for pulling the ring pulls on cans? If its a near fit I'll happily grind/ file to suit as I never use the hook and I am always ripping nails, however short, when hauling the lids off of food cans. I'll try it when I next go to the kitchen.

Sad to say I collect old can openers, still got a few major types to find and try out.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
SAK, or on occasion the one on the Leatherman if I've a reason to carry it instead.

One thing thats occurred to me just now is the parcel string hook on the wider SAKs like my Ranger suitable for pulling the ring pulls on cans? If its a near fit I'll happily grind/ file to suit as I never use the hook and I am always ripping nails, however short, when hauling the lids off of food cans. I'll try it when I next go to the kitchen.

Sad to say I collect old can openers, still got a few major types to find and try out.

ATB

Tom
Never even thought about the hook for that but it is however good for the springs that hold some motorcycle exhausts in place.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE