Tin Cloth.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Once you get into it, you get all sorts of cotton varieties. What's the differences between duck, drill, calico and bull canvas? Besides weight of course..

The majority seems to be used as painting canvases. I want something that's smooth, but tough.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Good link Toddy. I figured a mix of oils and waxes was the way to go. I was surprised by the pine tar though.

Definately worth a try.

I wouldn't want to use pine tar on clothes. The smell can be unbearable in confined spaces. I use a wax/fat/tar mix on my boots, and I get a lot of comments going on public transports. :rolleyes: Although I don't mind that so much, but still prefer clothes that doubles as 'civilian' clothes.

The link is for wooden boat folks, and on one of those old barges the smell from the clothes will be masked by the heavy smells from the ship I guess. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I must admit the stockholm tar surprised me a bit but..... tbh I like the smell, it's a good, woody, smell :)

I think it could probably be substituted with another oil though, maybe skip the tar and the orange oil and add bog myrtle or meadowsweet? I found another recipe in an old book but it calls for sperm oil, as from a sperm whale :rolleyes: Yorkshire fat (lanolin), wax and turpentine......gonna be easy to find that lot ;) :D

atb,
Toddy

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Henley's Formulas said:
Take fine twilled calico. Soak it in bullock's blood and dry it. Then give it 2 or 3 coats of boiled oil, mixed with a little litharge, or with an ounce of gold size to every pint of the oil.

Right, now where did I put the bullock's blood?

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I would simply go for the Barbour Thornproof Dressing.

Keep rubbing it as you warm it with a hair dryer and it will soak in really well.

I re-proof my coat and a wax cotton bag every other year this way and it works a treat.

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Would british combat jacket be a suitable base for this? Just wondering if this might be an alternative to dye to tone down the DPM look.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
A friend of mine has done the bedsheet linseed oil tarp. He used boiled linseed oil applied in two coats with a 50/50 mix of mineral spirits/boiled linseed for the second coat. He painted the mix on rather than soaked it however. Allowed to hang and dry it turned out to be a light waterproof tarp.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I just had to try this, having all the bits needed I knocked up this tinder pouch today from 15oz cotton canvas. Then once finnished I started to apply fairly thick coats of Barbour Thornproof Dressing to the outside, once completely covered I took to it with my wifes hairdryer (don't tell her) until absorbed. I done this a total of five times until you can see that the dressing was showing on the inside.
I don't want this really waxy on the outside as it can get everywere, so I am going to use this for a while and then give it another couple of coats. I am really happy with the end result, however if you want a waxier finnish just keep adding coats of dressing until you are happy.:)

The pouch before treatment:

S8001810.jpg

And after five coats of Barbour Thornproof Dressing :

S8001811.jpg

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Nice pouch. It looks like the Barbour dressing does not change the color much at all.

This is the one I made from Filson shelter cloth.

tinderpouchmaking2613rd6.jpg

tinderpouchstuffed2623oa6.jpg

I also gave it a heavy coat of Filson wax and melted that in with a hair dryer.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Nice pouch. It looks like the Barbour dressing does not change the color much at all.

This is the one I made from Filson shelter cloth.

tinderpouchmaking2613rd6.jpg

Now THAT looks like tin cloth. I love that look. Can anyone think of an additive that'll make white canvas go brown with the waxing process? I was thinking the pine tar might do that. It doesn't have to be a dark brown. Light tan will do.

Eric

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I am not sure how much the pine tar would darken white canvas, but it would have to take it a bit darker I am sure.

I gave my tinder pouch a nice deep inhale and I think there may indeed be some pine tar in the Filson wax. This shelter cloth is used by Filson "dry" and is the same color so I they must dye it before waxing.

I have some earth pigments that I have used to stain wood (mixed with oils), I bet they would work on the canvas. I have red and black pigments but I think the wood workers store had several other colors to choose from.

I am going to do a pillowcase with linseed oil and I think I will add some red with a touch of black pigment....maybe a splash of pine tar too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Iron mordant ought to work, just add a tiny quantity to the mixture. I can send you some if you want to try it. I've got real Stockholm tar too (from the boatyard :D ) It smells glorious :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE