tin can meths burner help needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mang

Settler
I decided to get off my butt and have a go at a tin can meths burner.

hobo_1.jpg

This is what I used. the arrow indicates the small crimp and fold I put in this tin which made sliding them together much easier.
hobo_2.jpg

T drilled four holes in the tonic tin to allow the meths to soak through to the loft insulation (indicated by the red dots). The coke can was slit, the edges folded over to hold the drilled tonic tin, and then the lemonade tin was slid over the coke tin with extra wadding at the bottom.
hobo_3.jpg

The arrow indicates where the wadding comes up to because I read that the vapour needs room.

All I can manage is a polite 'pop' and that's it...The tent pegs were added after the failed trials as a pot rest. I know they need cutting down but as it's not working...

More wadding higher up? Cut the tins down? Please help!

oscari

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 28, 2010
outdoors
Your problem is the size of the tin.The large area is acting as a combustion chamber and burning up all the oxygen in there (think Red Adair in hellfighters)
you need a smaller tin so that the meths burns and not the vapours.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
yes you definitely need to make the tin smaller! type in the search bar COKE CAN STOVE or go on youtube and type in Penny stove theres one particular one thats in two parts its great! either way it only needs to be a couple inches tall! :)

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
I can see a few problem with your design.

1. The glass fiber will soke up all the meth and less of it will contact the tin wall. This prevent the heat from evaporating the meth.

2. The holes for the meth vapour is too large. There will be no internal pressure and thus air will enter and mix with the meth vapour. That explains the 'pop' that you get.

3. The height of the tin will delay the heat being transmitted to the meth to help vaporise the meth. The heat might not even reach the meth.

Not sure if they are correct.

Cheers

singteck

heres some i did a couple of yrs ago i dont use meths in general but its a fun learning experiance

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25021

these ones
stove1.jpg

the one on the right was my final crusader cup solution the wire fits round the cup when not used and the tin lid the cooker sits on can be used with a little meths to speed primeing. Th eholes are put in as an oval so better to heat the base of teh cup

oh and using them in a crusader cup stand is a pain it acts as a massive heat sink making it slow to burn and really needs teh wire remade to raise the hight you get just as good tipping he meths into the cup and lighting it as is

Next Home made wood hgas stoves :eek::D

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25918&highlight=stove

Mang

Settler
I think I've got my head around the basic tin can stove concept and design flaws on mine. If mine had smaller holes and size, would the inner tin have been the correct distance from the outer tin to be effective? There is about a 1mm gap or so.

Now the cat stoves (like the one earlier), are they just a drilled tin which, when primed, pushes the flames out of the drilled holes when you place a billy on it? If the holes in a tin can stove need to be small to get the pressure, why are they big on a cat stove?

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Mang, are you trying out an unconventional and innovative design? If you are good luck mate. If you aint you need to look at "penny" style stove designs and start from there. I think once you've mastered the basic coke can stove you can procede from that.

IME it's easy to make a working burner, the trick is matching up your pot, potstand, windscreen and burner to make a tuned cooking unit. Good luck Mang!

Last edited:

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
I think I've got my head around the basic tin can stove concept and design flaws on mine. If mine had smaller holes and size, would the inner tin have been the correct distance from the outer tin to be effective? There is about a 1mm gap or so.

Now the cat stoves (like the one earlier), are they just a drilled tin which, when primed, pushes the flames out of the drilled holes when you place a billy on it? If the holes in a tin can stove need to be small to get the pressure, why are they big on a cat stove?

'cos they are different design concepts.Some tin can stoves are pressurised and some not
have a look on the zen stoves website for many designs of different types.Small holes are used to create pressure jets of vapourised fuel. Other designs just burn the meths straight and hence need no priming- to get increased heat from these designs requires good air mix hence big holes. Hope this helps

Mang

Settler
One small step for Mang...
meths_burner.jpg

Thanks again for the help. I know that some of you can probably make these in your sleep but I'm well satisfied to have got a working one sorted. My nine year old now wants to have a go and 'Show and tell' it at school-it would trump little Johnny's keyring collection!

I'm going to have fun with these for a while methinks...the only thing is, I'm finding that I'm looking at tin cans in a new light...

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Can these also burn unleaded fuel? The reason I ask is I already have a fuel bottle that I use for my coleman burner, just want something smaller for my up coming hobo stove.

Also can someone point me in the direction of a good tutorial of how to make one of these with pop cans? Also did you end up using the fibreglass?

glyn77

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2009
Salford
Can these also burn unleaded fuel? The reason I ask is I already have a fuel bottle that I use for my coleman burner, just want something smaller for my up coming hobo stove.

Also can someone point me in the direction of a good tutorial of how to make one of these with pop cans? Also did you end up using the fibreglass?

NO, this sort of thing uses alcohol - petrol products are no good, and very dangerous.

Stick to meths, or use a different stove.

cheers,
Glyn

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE