Timelapse photography questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
Has anyone any experience with doing timelapse photography with something like the Brinno TLC200 Pro??

The background to this is that I thought it might be fun to create some timelapse movies of the Lewis landscape but I don't want to put a lot of cash into this and also I'd like something weatherproof that I can leave on top of a hill, for example, for a few days. The plan was to get a cheap tripod to lift the camera above vegetation and allow for angling it etc. and to put it in position when the forecast was moderate and there were no big winds coming our way. There are lots of locations like in the image below, so getting somewhere to put it isn't the problem, but I was wondering if it was going to deliver reasonable results or what the catches might be.

The Brinno claims to be suitable for nighttime/milky way type timelapse and I've seen some pretty nice star/moon/milky way video from them so that might also be in the plan as the skies are pretty dark once we get into the autumn.

I simply can't afford to go down the SLR route plus this will need carried to some remote spots, weather proofing, power and will maybe be left in place for a few days at a time so although the results would certainly be better they are beyond my means in every sense. My Lowe Alpine Sting is already full and over weight :)

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
How about a small waterproof box, a Raspberry Pi with camera and batteries - something like this?

I'm currently working on a few other projects with Raspberry Pis at the minute but I don't think the Pi is suitable for various reasons the main one being power consumption, the trail camera in this example is running off the mains. Also I suspect, though am far from sure, that the Pi camera doesn't quite have the performance of the Brinno in terms of low light etc.

I could use the Pi to control some other outboard gear, say a modified SLR or other camera, but that becomes a lot of stuff, especially the batteries, to carry many miles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE