Time to get out of the bustle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Hi everyone. While i learn best through videos (try learning to crochet with text instructions!) this seems the place to be for leaning and asking advice.

Tiny bit of background on me should you be interested..

I'm currently 27 and living in the centre of London while i do a degree in business and psychology. However prior to university i spent many years working with food, from a fishmonger, to butcher, to a chef. I really love food, especially the varieties found in water, however i cannot stand the price at the supermarket for a bit of fish that anyone with adequate experience could catch for free (after cost of equipment of course)

This, coupled with my long-time desire to get a good job to put some money away and move into the boondocks and enjoy life while i'm young instead of waiting until retirement to enjoy life, has recently prompted me to really try and make some headway. Same reason i started cooking; there is no use in moving to the coast and catching fish if i can't cook it worth a damn :)

Granted that london, and university will not give me the best opportunities to get out and about, my partner, a londoner, considers richmond park to be countryside.. However from working in a kitchen all summer, i decided that i've a good lump of money at hand, and it was designated for a new computer that i really don't need, so decided to buy some equipment while i had the funds.

I'm looking at this from both a bushcraft perspective, and a well equiped leisurely camping perspective, so my equiptment is both minimal and also can be substantial (e.g i bought a fully stocked river fishing tackle box, and then also a NATO fishing kit for when space and weight are important factors.

I've already got a bunch of kit such as a TBS Boar, benchmade folder, bahco folding saw, tarp, tent, sleeping bag, cooking equiptment, paracord etc. However I'm sure that you guys will be able to point me in the best direction for kitting out a bag for the UK countryside :)

Looking forward to getting to know you guys
Hugh

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Hi and welcome from Sunderland. Any amount of kit advice for you here and some of the guys have YouTube channels as you said you prefer video.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Light a fire with a steel and some tinder, and learn some knots/making lanyards. Those are the first goals on my list. Due to the infrequency of getting out into the woods, whittling with the partner is to be my at-home past time.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Welcome to BCUK! :campfire:

For tips on "a bag for the UK countryside" you should probably start a thread in "Kit Chatter" or possibly "Camp and Carry" and it would be helpful to know who's going, experience, fitness, how long you're expecting to be there, how you plan to get there etc.

Personally, whether I'm in a tent, under a tarp, in a hammock or just under the stars I always like a MVP bivvy bag around my sleeping bag, which keeps moisture off the sleeping bag shell, and I like them to be on some sort of sleep mat which I notice you haven't mentioned.
Apart from that you seem pretty well sorted. Amongst the cooking equipment I guess there's a stove?

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Welcome to BCUK! :campfire:

For tips on "a bag for the UK countryside" you should probably start a thread in "Kit Chatter" or possibly "Camp and Carry" and it would be helpful to know who's going, experience, fitness, how long you're expecting to be there, how you plan to get there etc.

Personally, whether I'm in a tent, under a tarp, in a hammock or just under the stars I always like a MVP bivvy bag around my sleeping bag, which keeps moisture off the sleeping bag shell, and I like them to be on some sort of sleep mat which I notice you haven't mentioned.
Apart from that you seem pretty well sorted. Amongst the cooking equipment I guess there's a stove?

I will certainly make a thread detailing needs and equipment etc. As it stands i own equipment, but know very little. I was in bed on friday with the missus watching a Ray Mears documentary, and next thing i knew i was a thousand pounds out of pocket :) As i type this i've just received some walking shoes (will buy boots once I feel I need them). As to a sleeping mat, i may buy one, although i've a pocket hammock, and i've never been one to use a sleeping mat or even a pillow. I'd much rather get by with foliage for a bed if possible, and then sleeping bag within a breathable bivvy bag. Stove wise, again, i'd like to be able to make do with what is around me, and have a real fire, but for when just me, i've a hexi-block, and later down the line i can upgrade if needed.

I need to bare in mind that while i've worked as a chef and running around for 15 hours straight, i've not actually done any real excersize in the past 9 years, so am very much aware that to start off i need to try and keeping my pack as light as possible until i toughen up :)

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I need to bare in mind that while i've worked as a chef and running around for 15 hours straight, i've not actually done any real excersize in the past 9 years, so am very much aware that to start off i need to try and keeping my pack as light as possible until i toughen up :)

You Will probably find that loadbaring and packing technique is more important than physical weight to a degree. I pack very heavy and can trudge for miles with a comfortable bag and I'm far from fit! Good boots and a good bag and you're sorted, notice I said good not expensive too there is a difference

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire

Rather than jumping in with firesteel in hand and prepping yourself for a hike, why not look for a local meet?

You'll park relatively close to where you'll be camping, you can test out the kit you have in an environment where the people you'll be around can give you advice, help you setup... no strain, no stress... you can ease into it.

The most exercise I had before landing here in recent years was raising my beer arm... but I've had great experiences at various woodlands and always been made to feel welcome. Once you're doing it, camping in the woods, you'll rapidly realise what's missing from your kit, you'll know what you want to carry to feel comfortable and happy... and the people you will meet will give you a wealth of knowledge that, no disrespect to the written advice here, is worth far more than you'll ever learn on a forum.

One of the best feelings is sitting round the campfire with people you've met on the internet and just relaxing, looking at the flames... just try not to drink too much and end up rambling on into the night about whether an Atari is better than an Amiga... thats a whole new world of weird!!! :p

One last thing, give consideration to a hammock... never slept better than in a hammock in the woods.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hi everyone. While i learn best through videos (try learning to crochet with text instructions!) this seems the place to be for leaning and asking advice......

Welcome. I'm sure you'll like it here. But regarding the crocheting:
63613413456213659lWerBsLgc.jpg

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Welcome. I'm sure you'll like it here. But regarding the crocheting:
63613413456213659lWerBsLgc.jpg

I need a pair of these in my life. If I didn't fear being stabbed violently with a crochet hook I would be asking Steph to make me a pair TODAY! But I fear like my moccasins, flat cap and bailer twine "belt" they would get confiscated pretty quickly

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Was just having a horrible flashback to when knitted/crochet swimsuits were the in-thing. Fine 'till you got them wet, then they went saggy and south. Not a good look.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE