Time for a decision

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a new watch and it's decision time.

I've got three choices

1 - Broadarrow PRS10 (Top)

Likes - The price is quite a bit cheaper than the other choices, it's got a steel case and looks good as well. Dislikes - From what I've read, a bit limited on strap choice and not tritium.

2 - Marathon US Military Mechanical - New Old Stock 1991 Model 46374E (Second one down)

Likes - looks good, as a self confessed gadget freak, I do like the tritium light source and the fact that it's military surplus appeals to me as does the fact that it's mechanical. Dislikes - Two things really, first the case. I've not had much luck with composite cases in the past, but then this does meet military specs so I would expect it to be rugged and sturdy, and the second concern is the age of the tritium light source and just how bright it still is.

3 - H3 Traser Type 3 (This One)

Likes - looks good, brand new tritium light source, probably easier than the Marathon to get fixed if something goes wrong. Dislikes - Same concerns as Marathon about resin cases

Any comments on the above would be gratefully recieved

Cheers Guys

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Got a traser and wouldnt swap it for the world! It also keeps really good time as well as looking good and being extremely functional.
My opinion.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Kath and I have Trasers and so far they've survived 2 years of hammering intact with little case damage. I like the idea of mechanical but quartz is less fuss ... given that I'd go for the Traser ...

Adi007 said:
Kath and I have Trasers and so far they've survived 2 years of hammering intact with little case damage. I like the idea of mechanical but quartz is less fuss ... given that I'd go for the Traser ...

Do you have the plastic cased ones or the metal cased ones. Martyn on BB has a plastic cased one and his now pops of off the strap where the pin locating holes have rounded out.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Resin case ... with no sign of any wear in the pin holes.

Tony said:
How about Luminox? They're the ones that make the Trasers IIR

http://www.woodlandorganics.com/shop/luminox/index.htm

Out of my price range unfortunately, at least from there any way.

ADI007 said:
Resin case ... with no sign of any wear in the pin holes.

If you don't mind me asking Adi, do you and SWMBO wear your Traser all the time? What sort of punishment DO they get? The choice seems to be (head says) PRS10 or (heart says) Traser

I hate making decisions!!

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Some people find the 46374E to be a little on the small side at 33mm or so, I have several of its mechanical ancestors 46374D/GG-W-113/DTU-2A-P going back to Mar 67 in the beadblasted stainless cases and I love em but do check out the size, not the toughest watches ever made but should be perfectly adequate. If you do want one they can be picked up from here http://www.mwrforum.net/cgi-bin/mwr.pl for about $75 USD or less which aint much at the current exchange rate.

Eddie at Timefactors is a good bloke to deal with and his PRS line of watches have a large band of loyal followers, Ive got one of his Speedbirds, very well made, good value and fairly exclusive. Again the PRS10 is a very small watch by todays standards.

Im not keen on resin cases but thats just me, dont like quartz either ;)

If you buy a NOS tritium dialled watch (Tritium is my fav lume when its new) be aware that even the watches with the tritium sealed in tubes will be losing their glow after 10-15 years. Also The tritium vials are not the toughest things in the world, they can break if the watch gets a hard shock and they can break lose of the dial/hands.

Interesting that all the watches youve picked have acrylic crystals, which some people like some people dont, I like the look of acrylic and I like mineral glass/saphire too!

Have you checked out Marathon Navigators, http://www.mwrforum.net/cgi-bin/mwr.pl?read=112954 quartz, tritium similar to your shortlisted watches but with timing bezel and I think slighly more water resistant, afraid I cant offer any other alternatives, well I could but theyd all be mechanical :)

Best

Jason

jason01 said:
Some people find the 46374E to be a little on the small side at 33mm or so, I have several of its mechanical ancestors 46374D/GG-W-113/DTU-2A-P going back to Mar 67 in the beadblasted stainless cases and I love em but do check out the size, not the toughest watches ever made but should be perfectly adequate. If you do want one they can be picked up from here http://www.mwrforum.net/cgi-bin/mwr.pl for about $75 USD or less which aint much at the current exchange rate.

Eddie at Timefactors is a good bloke to deal with and his PRS line of watches have a large band of loyal followers, Ive got one of his Speedbirds, very well made, good value and fairly exclusive. Again the PRS10 is a very small watch by todays standards.

Im not keen on resin cases but thats just me, dont like quartz either ;)

If you buy a NOS tritium dialled watch (Tritium is my fav lume when its new) be aware that even the watches with the tritium sealed in tubes will be losing their glow after 10-15 years. Also The tritium vials are not the toughest things in the world, they can break if the watch gets a hard shock and they can break lose of the dial/hands.

Interesting that all the watches youve picked have acrylic crystals, which some people like some people dont, I like the look of acrylic and I like mineral glass/saphire too!

Have you checked out Marathon Navigators, http://www.mwrforum.net/cgi-bin/mwr.pl?read=112954 quartz, tritium similar to your shortlisted watches but with timing bezel and I think slighly more water resistant, afraid I cant offer any other alternatives, well I could but theyd all be mechanical :)

Best

Jason

Hmm....some interesting comments there Jason, I'd always thought that the tritium capsules would have been pretty bombproof as they're issued to the military. I must admit, I hadn't really paid any attention to the crystal, but mechanical watches are fine as well, particularly if they're in my price bracket.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Jon...Im seriously biased, I love mechanical watches, perfect miniature engines ticking away on our wrists (imagine an electric Ducati.... :rolmao: .) and I wouldnt swap em for quartz anyday, I could waffle on for ages about why I think mechanical is better but for most people quartz is better, more accurate, more reliable, cheaper, lower maintenance and less hassle so dont let me sway you unless you want to be swayed. The PRS10 is available as handwind too I think ;)

As for the Tritium tubes theyre just tiny thin walled glass vials glued in place, they can give problems, I dont think its a massive issue and I wouldnt let it stop you buying the watch but worth knowing.

Jason

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
The military generally prefer acrylic crystals because theyre more shatter resistant than glass and from a users point of view though they scratch fairly easily they can be easily polished with toothpaste or autosol, mineral glass scratches easily and is more trouble than its worth to polish, saphire glass is nearly impossible to scratch but heavy abuse will still chip or shatter it. Domed acrylic has a warmth that flat glass doesnt ;)

Jason

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
If you want real bang for your buck I would say check out Seiko, I know some snobbery comes into play and they dont have much "street cred" but they have much going for them. You can pick up a 21 jewel Seiko auto for $50/60 US brand new on ebay, in house movement (most watch manufacturers buy movements in, only when you get to Rolex and above will you find in house movements) Seiko have a fantastic history in watchmaking, many design innovations and though theyve never really broken the western market (yet) they do make prestige watches comparable with the better Swiss makes in terms of quality and price (their high end stuff isnt easily available in the west), I have Seiko autos here that are 30+ years old and running to within Rolex (COSC) specs. They have plenty of military history, the big 6309's and 6105 divers were favourites of US army in 60's 70's 80's and have a legendary reputation amongst those that have used and abused them, check out Martin Sheen's 6105 Seiko diver in Apocalypse now (and my heavily modified version below). Seiko 7A28 qaurtz chronos were standard issue to UK RAF Helicopter pilots (I forget which squad sorry...).

Seiko military with sterile dial fitted, this conversion runs at about $140 or £75 quidish
http://www.mkiiwatches.com/seiko_field.html

Standard version with Seiko/d/d dial for $50/60 on ebay
http://www.skywatches.com.sg/seiko_military/Seiko3.htm

I have a quartz version of that watch, my only quartz and its a good looking watch, keep meaning to sell it though...

My 6105..... this is a big heavy brute of a watch but its pretty much my daily wearer, not everyones taste I know but bulletproof ;)

front.jpg

back.jpg

Jason

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE