All set for winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Its the end of a busy period on our Smallholding.

Over the last few weeks I disassembled, moved and re-erected a 12x12' field shelter that some local friends no longer needed. Thank goodness for local farming friends and friends generally. I hadn't looked too closely at this one and the sides were 12 feet long single sections so I had no chance of getting this into our trailer. Our neighbouring farmer came out on short notice with tractor and flatbed and between 3 of us we got it loaded and back to our place. It took another day to put it back up.

The original idea was that this shelter would replace our old shelter which had blown down twice in the last 3 years. However as I started to rip into the busted up old one I thought I would give it one more go and so with my best mate Pete we spent several days salvaging, redesigning on the fly, mending and rebuilding the shelter with a new roof. This took a lot of new timber framing and much of my pile of "set aside" timber. I'm a bit disappointed that I've not got the rainwater collection quite right yet but otherwise it's sound.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415602367.285470.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415600908.565212.jpg

Not the sort of shelter building I most enjoy but with that I've learned from this I think I could comfortably make some kind of cabin now.

It's a tricky planning area but I have decided this year to stake down the shelters to anchor them firmly. It's just too expensive to effectively have to buy a new shelter every 2 years in mending costs. I will argue the toss if it ever comes up. After an initial big fuss on the planning front when we parked a little touring caravan on site to use as a loo and feed store and put in for planning for a barn and stables things have settled down. Over the last 5 years people in the nearby hamlet have settled to the idea of our little hobby farm and a number have bought hay and chickens from us or bring grandchildren down to see the animals.

With all the dangers of a broken up building half up a tree this area of our Smallholding has been off limits for most of this year. It was good to tidy up and our breeding ewes (Wiltshire Horn) have now been separated from their young and are back into this fields tidying up the grass and fattening up before we put them to the Tupp.

Because 2 sharing arrangements with our Ram have failed he went off to market last Spring and so we are me totally I the hands of another friend to bring us in a ram lamb to service our Ewes. If only we had another acre or two! Hopefully we should have him in to be introduced to the girls in the next week or so for April lambs.

We had a bumper crop of lambs this year and while 8 have gone off to slaughter that's not far short of half we had born. Last autumns good grass had the Ewes ovulating like mad. We lost one lamb to a fox, 3 died in birth unfortunately rupturing a ewe too that had to be put down. Two of triplets were rejected by their mother and we had to find them a home in a hurry. It was a horrible time and taking the dead to the Hunt Kennels is like the ultimate walk of shame.

Anyway we have a good number of lambs coming back soon and the slightly scary task of trying to sell a larger than normal amount this close to Christmas.

We were late moving our flock to the 10 acres next door we have an arrangement on and so we failed to make our own hay and had to buy it in this year. So also in the last week we took delivery of our first batch of "Big bale" hay. We usually make small bale hay which we can move by hand and make enough from selling our excess to pony people to cover our making costs. Big bales are about 12 small bale equivalents and have to be moved by tractor. We have settled on a deal where we take 5 at a time. Each one should last us nearly 2 weeks. Fingers crossed. We won't start feeding until the first frost and in our part of the world that hasn't happened yet.

Great big bonfire of all the rubbish and off cuts of timber rounded out the job. I still need to mend some fences, fix a broken window in the barn and sort out the rainwater collection on that first shelter but we are now fairly set for winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Busy time for you then fella
I know a chap round that couldn't get planning permission for his stables...he ended up ptting them on giant skids so they could be dragged by tractor, seems to have gotten away with it

did you lamb in april this year?....I only ask because it seems like a late weaning. Not a lot of time for the ewes to recover before tupping again
We lamb just after easter and wean in september

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
We don't bring the Wiltshire's indoors to lamb. We lost a number of lambs the year before when we Lambed in March. It was unseasonably warm in the day and cold at night and several died of lung issues. We also wanted to be sure that the ground was warm enough to promote good grass growth. Our main bit is only 5 acres. Soon after lambing we move them on to the 10 acres next door.

The grass this year was exceptional and our lambs weaned some time ago. Girls are looking good. They get a couple weeks in long grass now before they meet their new Beau. I suspect ancient breeds like the Wiltshire are a bit different to the norm.

We play the same game on skids as your friend. Staking them to the ground of course means they are not "movable" and might cause a problem if they then become considered a building rather than a structure. I've similarly heard of issues when folks have loose laid slabs in the shelter to stop them getting muddy. Anything that suggests some kind of permanent, fixed position can be a problem. Mind you the first one has been there over 3 years without complaint now so perhaps we could have an argument.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Great stuff mate! I really enjoyed reading that, like Red I definitely would like to see more of these type posts :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE