Tilley Lamp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Did a refurb on a tilley lamp that hadn't been used for some time, did all the 'washers' etc with a kit from base camp also the mantel. Just lit it and finding two probs, one there seem to be very slight hissing coming from the mantel area when pressurised even when turned off?
It does go out ok but is this normal? Secondly the mantel only seems to be very bright in one small patch 10p size... the rest of the mantel glows but does not go the bright white that you should get? I did struggle to get the mantel on its the string type have I done it wrong?
I have a spare so no biggy just want to get it running right but have not seen one running so working a bit aheemmm in the dark!
D

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
'Morning TTC.

Suggest you try this, for problem 1;
First, with the valve in the off position, gently stroke a fingertip over the top of the vap tube. You're feeling for the presence of the jet pin, it should be justdetectable.
If it isnt there, then its either been broken off or theres a problem with the brass pressure pad at the bottom of the vap tube. If this is so, then you might try unscrewing the whole vap tube and, holding it vertically top down, give it a few shakes and then reassemble, and try the fingertip test again...if you still can't feel anything there, then the vap tube is a goner.

Prob 2.
You shouldnt have to fiddle with those tiny mantle strings; the new ones are pre-sized and , with a bit of muscle, will push fit into the the grooves intended.
Sounds like you need to replace the existing mantle anyway, clearly it hasn,t burnt-in properly.

Wash your hands before handle the new mantle and , when burning - in, keep the valve open and keep the pressure off the tank, until the meth burn has completely finished; only then tighten up the pump coupling and try just a few pumps. This should be enough to flare the mantle into shape.

Oh, one more thing, do the start-up as above, making sure your tank is well filled; it means you get to full pressure quicker, so you dont jerk the whole thing around while frantically pumping up...chances of mantle damage are increased.

I take it that you use good clean kerro as fuel......cos they can be made to work with other things, easier to obtain, but they do leave residues and decrease the output light.....some of these fluids are highly dangerous to health ...so, if you do use something other than kerro, please clean out the tank and then whip down to BQ and in the gardening section, you'll find proper paraffin....

Hope this helps

Ceeg

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Same story with me. Kit from base camp, changed all washers, fired it up - light output pretty poor (about the same as a paraffin wick lamp !). I'd be interested to hear how you get on looking at the vapouriser.

I'm not optimistic because most people have told me that Tilleys have a poor light output and I would have been better going for a good Vapalux - which I did subsequently and what a difference !

NS

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Hi, NS.
Yes I agree that Tilleys are not the brightest; My Opti and even my old Anchor are significantly brighter.
But if the output of yours, only compares to that of a wick lamp, then there's a bird away with it somewhere.
With clean fuel, when tight at full pressure,with a clean globe and a good mantle, then, at night you should not be able to gaze directly at the mantle at 10 feet distant.

Ceeg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
First, dump the Tilley and buy a Vapalux.

In the meantime take off the vaporiser tube and remove the wire, you may have a build up of carbon that you need to clean off.

I've got a good few Vapalux (maybe eight or ten) and they are just so much more reliable than the Tilley and can be had for only a few quid off eBay.

rancid badger

Sorry; but I've learned that Tilley lamps really are poor. :(

They are unreliable, noisy, dirty, smelly and inefficient. The build quality is absolutely atrocious and the way the chrome cages rust, is a disgrace.

I used Vapalux a good few times, with the Army/TA/Cadets and they are genuine quality.

I did a Tilley lamp up a while back, as an 'affordable' or maybe even 'economy' pressure lamp and while I ended up with a fairly good lamp, no fading, flaring or other issues, it was always a bit sketchy to light and totally unusable indoors due to the inefficient burn, leading to horrendous fumes coming off the damn thing. I couldn't even run it in the garage without the fumes stinking the whole house out.

I decided to invest in an ex army Vapalux, taking a gamble that it would be as good as the ones I had used while serving and I can honestly say, I've not looked back. I sold the Tilley for a reasonable price for what it was and then picked up another two Vapalux lanterns off ebay, as and when decent ones came along at the right price.

I've used the Vapalux's in the house, during a recent power cut and while you still get a hint of paraffin, its nothing like as bad as a Tilley. The Vapalux lights every time, burns long and bright and gives off fantastic heat too.

I have to say; Riks right, your best bet would be to cut your losses and buy a good Vapalux, £40-£60 plus postage will get you a good one;)

best of luck and I hope you get sorted out whichever way you decide to go:)

atb

R.B.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
OK thanks for that guys. The lamp was free apart from the refurb I did which was about £20 so it dont owe me a lot......just a bit dissapointed at the light. Got to say I could have sworn that I put a fair bit of fuel in her but after struggling to light her had a look in the tank and there wasn' alot. So didn't help will try the vaporiser suggestion and if not ebay it.
Dave

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
'Morning TTC.

Suggest you try this, for problem 1;
First, with the valve in the off position, gently stroke a fingertip over the top of the vap tube. You're feeling for the presence of the jet pin, it should be justdetectable.
If it isnt there, then its either been broken off or theres a problem with the brass pressure pad at the bottom of the vap tube. If this is so, then you might try unscrewing the whole vap tube and, holding it vertically top down, give it a few shakes and then reassemble, and try the fingertip test again...if you still can't feel anything there, then the vap tube is a goner.

Prob 2.
You shouldnt have to fiddle with those tiny mantle strings; the new ones are pre-sized and , with a bit of muscle, will push fit into the the grooves intended.
Sounds like you need to replace the existing mantle anyway, clearly it hasn,t burnt-in properly.

Wash your hands before handle the new mantle and , when burning - in, keep the valve open and keep the pressure off the tank, until the meth burn has completely finished; only then tighten up the pump coupling and try just a few pumps. This should be enough to flare the mantle into shape.

Oh, one more thing, do the start-up as above, making sure your tank is well filled; it means you get to full pressure quicker, so you dont jerk the whole thing around while frantically pumping up...chances of mantle damage are increased.

I take it that you use good clean kerro as fuel......cos they can be made to work with other things, easier to obtain, but they do leave residues and decrease the output light.....some of these fluids are highly dangerous to health ...so, if you do use something other than kerro, please clean out the tank and then whip down to BQ and in the gardening section, you'll find proper paraffin....

Hope this helps

Ceeg

OK cant feel the tip but it is there and it seems that when operating the valve it does rise up and down but I cant feel anything (I think) I can just about see that something is happening at the mantle end but cant see the point....is it meant to stick out when fully open? The 'needle' is present got to say the hissing did seem to stop after while so may try a new mantle and see what happens. I deffo didn't light the mantle properly so will try your method.
Dave

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Sorry Stu missed the post!
Got it working now guys and even with all the criticism are quite impressed initially!
I hadn't burnt the mantle properly so put a new one one and with the meths lit let it burn almost out gave it a couple of pumps and the whole mantle is now white!
Result thanks chaps if I decide vapalux Stu will give Jasper a try ebay has nowt.
Dave

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
TTC.

Ah well, you got her going and thats the main thing.
The needle, by the way, you should only be able to feel it, when the control valve is in the "shut off" position..ie hard to the right

Tip; you can help keep the needle clean if; when giving light ,you quickly shut/open the valve a few times; she,ll pop back into light, providing that youre quick

As i said before, they aint the brightest and, in fact I only use mine for fishing. Its that static mantle, being held top and bottom, which makes it less prone to damage when clambering , heavy laden, down cliffs.

Ceeg

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Just got back from a camping trip. I took 2 Vapalux M320's and the performed brilliantly. Loads of light, long burn time and very reliable.

DSC01568.jpg

Dump the tilley's and get Vapalux. Brilliant bit of kit.

NikDarkwood

Sep 2, 2009
Hampshire
If you are using a Tilley, Coleman etc the implication is you are useing a vehicle, pony or bearers etc yes? They are a bit heavy to drag around in a pack on your own.

The reason theyre popular is theyre idiot proof and give out loads of light. But if you want a lantern that gives out as much light but uses a tenth of the fuel why not pick up an old non-pressure incandescent mantle light such as the old alladin? The mantle is heated with a tubular wick with a blue flame like a parafin heater.

Completelly silent, Bright as a pump lamp and uses a fraction of the fuel.

Only problem is the coned mantles are very fragile, if you are moving around and the wick does need adjusting as the lamp warms up otherwise unburnt fuel forms a carbon deposit on the mantle and this can be dangerous.

Popular with country folk in the past but a tad tempermental till you understand how they work. I still use one for night time reading when Im off grid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE