Tilley Lamp Servicing at the Moot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I re found this Tilley Lamp that I had bought ages ago and tucked away intending to get it up and running. As with most things like this out of sight out of mind :rolleyes: so I was pleasantly pleased to find it again :)

So... My question is, does anyone who's going to the Moot know how to service it to get it up and running and if you do would you mind taking me through it and perhaps anyone else who might be interested in watching?

20190630-210503.jpg

20190630-210450.jpg

20190630-210358.jpg

20190630-210417.jpg

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have a coleman powerhouse 295 unleaded that needs a bit of a tickle aswell.
I'd be interested in watching your lamp serviced and also if I can get mine and myself to moot having someone help with mine. Got all the bits but not being particularly spanner minded am a bit reluctant to have an unsupervised go at it myself. Perhaps a workshop on lamp servicing and maintenance would be a great idea if there is someone willing and able?

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I've certainly done plenty of fettling to get my two Tilleys up and running Steve and have some idea how to go about it. I might even bring one of them along. Mind you, I find them bloomin' frustrating at times - as I know do many others!

Meanwhile, Broadlander on YouTube has made a couple of videos which explain and demonstrate things far better than I could do; worth a watch I think:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've certainly done plenty of fettling to get my two Tilleys up and running Steve and have some idea how to go about it. I might even bring one of them along. Mind you, I find them bloomin' frustrating at times - as I know do many others!

Meanwhile, Broadlander on YouTube has made a couple of videos which explain and demonstrate things far better than I could do; worth a watch I think:

Thanks for that Dave, I'd appreciate the help :)

I'll have a watch of the videos as well

so Dave, is that you volunteering to run a Tilley lamp maintenance workshop? :lmao:

Yup, it sure did sound that way didn't it.:D

So that's a new workshop to schedule in for you Tony :rolleyes: :lmao:

Reactions: Dark Horse Dave

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Yes mate I have the one I bought at the moot last year. I have the service kit and have not got around to fitting it. Glad I haven't because learnt a few things from video

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I’ve got two Tilley Lamps in the shed, but due to the dumping of stuff haven’t been able to get to them for quite a while.
But the shed is coming down to be replaced by a garage this month so I’ll be getting them out and I’ll have some where to work on them soon .

We used to have a few Cub Leaders that had them and we would hold an annual “Burn Off” at a District Camp, just as an excuse to use them and see what everyone has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
I'd like to sign up for that workshop too, please. Will also watch the videos, but it's good to have someone competent to extinguish me as I undertake my first fire up.

Reactions: chas brookes

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you fancy coming along to this workshop with a Tilley you want to service then you can pick up the necessary spares from the following sites

The Base Camp
The Fettle box (hopefully he's recovered from his injuries)
Hopflipflopandfly (on Ebay)

Please note I'm not recommending any of the suppliers, they're just ones I have had recommended to me as a good source. If you know of other good suppliers please do say.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Is it worth me bringing a coleman powerhouse along?. Mine needs a sorting and I need some help if possible. I've got the bits. I'm coming by train so it's a bit of a hassle to bring if it's not possible to work on it.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Is it worth me bringing a coleman powerhouse along?. Mine needs a sorting and I need some help if possible. I've got the bits. I'm coming by train so it's a bit of a hassle to bring if it's not possible to work on it.

That's your shout, I don't know enough about it to help but there might be someone who does

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Thanks mesquite. Anyone able to help me out on the coleman powerhouse 295 at the moot please?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE