Ticks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I tanned a roe deer skin once. Got seven on me in one day. Did kill them all by dropping the skin in salt water, hehehehehe

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Question for you guys on ticks. Once you have removed them by whatever means you use do you put anything on the bite or do you then just leave it.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Don't have a dog so should be fine. I'm fortunate that I have never been bitten by a tick but better safe than sorry.
Cheers for that.

mudgutz

Jan 26, 2013
Staffordshire moorlands.
Wunder why they say don't use vasaline or spirits to remove them now? I was always led to believe that pulling them out like in the vid stands a chance of leaving there feeding parts in your body and could go septic :confused:

Good info though all the same. Cheers.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Wunder why they say don't use vasaline or spirits to remove them now? I was always led to believe that pulling them out like in the vid stands a chance of leaving there feeding parts in your body and could go septic :confused:

Good info though all the same. Cheers.

If you "shock" the tick by suffocation (vasaline) or chems (meths) or heat (lit ciggy) then it regurgitates its gut contents where the lymmes disease baddies live straight into your bloodstream.

Things like the Tom O' Tick little crowbar are quick not giving it time to be sick and remove them whole. Or you can use the Yorkshire massage method.

Cheers,
GB.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Alcohol mate, but not on the dog.:nono:

Why not on the dog, Niels? Is there something ominous I should already have known about?

Good work in highlighting this info Filterhoose. I'm amazed at how many walkers, fishermen, etc, are unaware of the dangers of tick bites, yet go regularly into areas where the dangers are greatest.

Two mates of mine have come down with Lyme Disease in the past couple of years and another mate's wife was diagnosed just last autumn. One is having a particularly hard time though after relapsing a year after he thought he was shot of it. I don't think he's been out on the hills since last spring, which is all the sadder when you've drank as much whisky and chapped as much wood with him as I have.
He used to carry a log splitting maul in his rucksack! :lmao:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Why not on the dog, Niels? Is there something ominous I should already have known about?

No. Just because it hurts the dog and it's not really neccesary because the harm's already been done. Just remember it's best to prevent it, which reminds me I should put some frontline on the dog.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE