tickling trout

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
Hi I remember reading in a fishing mag that its one of those things like tracking that people like to add a lot of mysticism about when in realty all it was was feeling very very gently along a river bank under the water were there is a bit of a shelf were fish lie up and you feel for the fish and work out were its belly is and all of a sudden you just cup it and through it to wards the river bank a lot of practise and luck involved its the same as bears do really but there really good at it

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
The trick is to be slow and methodical. Your hands need to be cool/cold and you try to approach the fish from behind if possible (it's more successful). The "tickling", I think, must feel like water turbulence to the fish. I don't know if there is any "trance" involved or not. The only other real trick I can think of is that when it comes to capture time, the best way is not to try to cup the fish or grasp it but to get your thumbs into the gills and then throw the fish to land.

Take time, patience and concentration.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I know a chap whos pretty good at it and he maintains you have to simulate river weed stroking the fishes belly. it lulls the fish into a false sense of security, enough to get your hand right underneath the fish to scoop it up.You need to chuck it as far up the bank as possible as they will flip back in before you get off your belly, if too close to the water

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I saw a female friend did it once and it was very impressive - both her patience and nerve.

Hardest thing is overcoming the jerk away reflex we have when touching something unseen or cold wet and alive!!

And the trick is to grab, lift and throw onto the bank all at once.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
Morning just been going through the book shelf and there is a very good description of how to do it in the (POACHER'S HANDBOOK)by Ian Niall. :biggthump

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
hmmmm seing as someone mentioned poaching...........

it is not just trout that this works on , but dont ask me how i know this cos it's illegal and i havent done it for years honest :roll:

i dont know if it is illegal to tickle trout tho

as a survival technique it is invaluable :)

Tant

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
A way to put odds in your favour is go to a river with pools.
Block the end up with sticks, and then jump around like a goon stirring the pool up.
It puts the willies up the fish, stops shadows spooking them, and after all the kafuffle they aren't so adverse to a comforting stroke ;)

TAZ

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2004
Farnborough, Hampshire
I managed it once after many unsuccesful attempts.The bloke who taught me had me move my hand up from behind and to "be the weed" tickling the trout.As Gary said it is the reflex that is hardest to overcome!

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Two other neat poaching methods - a large hammer which is crashed down near to a fish stunning it and a bullwhip - which is cracked just on the surface of the water above a fish. Yes the hammer method is also from the poachers handbook.

Taking trout by any method other than rod&line is illegal ( unless you have a license to net in estuaries. ). That goes for any fishing come to think of it - if BW are draining a section it's not legal for them to pick up the fish that are stranded and put them over the wet side - of course they do and I doubt anyone would do them for it.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
There are better books if you want a manual of methods but the Poachers handbook is a good read in itself, I've only seen it second hand.

gurthang

Nov 22, 2004
Devon/Hampshire
tickling is definately classed as poacing :cry: ( not sporting wot)

I caught a nice trout in a rock pooling net tied to the end of a stick once though (unfortionately thats probably poaching as well)

If all else fails spear gun? dynamite? Hand grenades? Bleach? the possibilities are endless :naughty:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE