Tick removal tool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Has anyone seen or used "The Tick Twister! Tick removal tool.

They look like they may be worth bunging in your FAK

Looky here

http://www.otom.com/ :shock:

OMG...If you go on the instructions for use page and play the demo video, It has the worst 70's "Grumble Flick" music you have ever heard :shock:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Do you need one? However much they are. If you get your nails right down by the head it all comes out first time.

I have a spaniel so he gets more ticks than you can shake a stick at and I've never needed a tick remover. Do it the old fashioned way

Bill

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
tenbears10 said:
Do you need one? However much they are. If you get your nails right down by the head it all comes out first time.

I have a spaniel so he gets more ticks than you can shake a stick at and I've never needed a tick remover. Do it the old fashioned way

Bill

Can't manage to get hold of the little b*stards with my nails.

Using the tool lets me twist them round to make 'em let go,even the tiny ones when newly embedded.

Sorry leon,can't remember how much but you only need one set as they last for years.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I use one of these after every trip to the woods latley it seems, they are superb, far more effective and safer than nails, tweezers, alchohol, etc.
With the increase in the tick population and the increased risk of Lyme disease I think you would be daft not to carry one.
Neil1

leon-1

Wayne, you DON'T want to burn a tick, it will spit into the area that it is attached into.

If the tick is carrying any of the nasty diseases (tick borne encephalitis and Lyme disease to name a couple) you will increase the risk of infection to yourself.

You just want to get a tick of quickly (preferably in the first 24hours), in cases of Lyme disease if a tick is removed within 24hrs and it is a carrier the chances of contracting it are less than 5% :cry: .

If said tick is a carrier and is left on for more than four days the chances of contracting lymes are nearly 100% :yikes:

They recommend that you do not touch a tick with your bare hands and that when you remove one, you either use a tool as mentioned above or a pair of tweezers (forceps). After removal they say that the area should be swabbed with some form of anti-septic or an alchohol swab.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
how much do they cost at the vets, I had a look at the JAK Marketing site and they say £38 for 20.
:yikes: thats expensive..... I got mine for about £1. You can probably also get them from petshops aswell.

Ed

leon-1

Well, this is how search for the O' TOM tick removal tool stands, I've found them at 2 vets in my area, there are two in a pack (one small and one large) and they cost £3.50.

They are about the same length as the actual firesteel on the ranger / scout firesteel and look somewhat like a miniature crowbar. They are supposed to be almost indestructible and can be used time in time out.

After you have used one you are supposed to sterilise it (in our case alchohol swabs) and it can be stored for further use.

They also claim that they reduce the chance of transmitted infection because they do not put pressure on the abdomen of the tick.

They come in a little resealable plastic bag with an idiots guide on the back, the diagram is pretty much self explanatory, but they have the word twist in French, English, German, Spanish, Italian and Dutch just so there is no confusion.

By the look of it the claim is that the small tool will remove ticks with mouth parts down to 0.1mm without leaving the mouthparts in the host. It's a well thought out little package.

My local vets is about 100Meters away so I bought one this morning, but it may be an idea if we can get hold of the distributor and see if he will sell directly to people of a non veterinary profession (I can't see why not), and then if there is interest in them, buy a box for the people that want them that will be attending the BCUK meetup and/or the wilderness gathering. :)

I should mention that I have spoken to a few people in both vets surgeries about these and no one who has used one has a bad thing to say about them ("we appear to be getting an increase in incidents with reference to ticks", the vets words not mine). :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE