Ti Emberlit and comparison to S/S version

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
01122012116.jpg01122012117.jpg01122012118.jpg01122012119.jpg01122012120.jpg01122012121.jpg01122012122.jpg01122012123.jpg01122012124.jpg01122012125.jpg01122012126.jpg01122012127.jpgGot my Ti Emberlit today, so went to a nearby lake and had a bit of a play. THis included testing with a variety of woods - from small twigs and pinecones through to sticks nearly as wide as the feeder hole (which is quite big!). I stuck on a big old enamel coffee percolator to provide liquid refreshment, fired a couple of steaks and, as a piece de resistance, made some blueberry cheesecake muffins (and a "muffin-loaf", as the individual containers were taking too long). Also boiled up some water on a Walmart greasepot just for the hell of it. Used a frying pan, a s/s measuring pan and tin foil as my oven for the baking, some small foil bread tins and paper cup-cake cases, and the aforementioned Walmart greasepot.

First impressions are that this is ridicuously light - less than 6 oz - whereas the S/S version is around 11 oz. And it feels much flimsier than the s/s one, although solid enough when put together. (There's videos on youtube showing it coping easily with a plastic container holding 6 gallons of water, and I have no reason to doubt its validity) Both had the two optional cross-members for using small pans/cups on it, although I didn't use them today. re the comparison between the two, they both cooked exactly the same, and unless the weight is really important to you, I'd personally recommend the s/s version as being half the price and just as good. Both fold down into a flat-pack that would go into a pocket, and it comes with a ziplock-type plastic bag which is perfectly adequate for me, although they do a case for it if you want one. You'll need something, as it does get a bit sooty!

what is immediately noticeable when using these is how easy it is to adjust the heat output. Smaller twigs = more heat but more feeding, and larger sticks less heat and less feeding. It is easy to go from a vigorous rolling boil to just a gentle simmer on these. THe big advantage of these stoves over their competitors is the ability to feed in very long sticks - I tried a couple that were over 2 feet long today with no problems at all - just poke them in a bit every five minutes or so. This also leaves a nice bed of charcoal if you pull the sticks out, ideal for keeping metal plates warm. THrow in a couple of pine-cones and you're back to a raging fire again. Another nifty feature is that it doesn't damage the table surface - the legs give good clearance and airflow under the cooker, and the bottom of the firebox is solid, so no ashes to drop onto the table. A Park Warden came over to make sure I wasn't buring holes in his table, and left happy! After three hours of non-stop burning, not even a scorch-mark on the wooden surface of the table.

Cooking was a bit of an anticlimax. Everything cooked just fine, apart from a bit of burning on one of the cup-cakes when I got too engrossed in a book to check the "oven". THe adjustability of the flame meant that I could have intense heat when needed, and lower temps ditto.

Overall conclusions? A really nice bit of kit - ultra-lightweight, and will burn just about anything organic. You can use any thing from a small mug to a dutch oven on this with no issues. As I said earlier, I'd go for the stainless steel one unless you really need to save the five ounces the Ti one provides.

A few pics below - click on them for the full-size. Apologies for the quality - taken on an old phone!

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
30112012108.jpg30112012109.jpg30112012110.jpg

Attachments

• 30112012111.jpg
    30112012111.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 30112012112.jpg
    30112012112.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 30112012113.jpg
    30112012113.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 30112012114.jpg
    30112012114.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 30112012115.jpg
    30112012115.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
I started using one of these in July this year, and its now the only stove I take to the woods (I have the SS version). I absolutely love it. I was initially concerned that I wouldnt be able to find fuel after a good rain, but, that was laid to rest. I get a good fire going, drop a couple of pine cones in it, and, done. I am fortunate, where I live is a mixed forest, with plenty of pine & birch, both of which easily burn, even when wet. Gathering fuel takes literally 5 minutes. I like that I can start a fire at the end of the day-its almost like camping, when I was a kid. And, literally NEVER running out of fuel, and not having to carry it, is a huge bonus for me!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I started using one of these in July this year, and its now the only stove I take to the woods (I have the SS version). I absolutely love it. I was initially concerned that I wouldnt be able to find fuel after a good rain, but, that was laid to rest. I get a good fire going, drop a couple of pine cones in it, and, done. I am fortunate, where I live is a mixed forest, with plenty of pine & birch, both of which easily burn, even when wet. Gathering fuel takes literally 5 minutes. I like that I can start a fire at the end of the day-its almost like camping, when I was a kid. And, literally NEVER running out of fuel, and not having to carry it, is a huge bonus for me!

THe Emberlits LOVE pine-cones! Mind you, it goes through them at a rate of knots though....

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I can't answer that - I haven't used a Honey stove. From what I've seen, the main advantages of the Emberlit would be a slightly lighter weight and the ability to use long pieces of wood through the front feeder hole. It may also be a bit easier to put together, but I can't testify to that.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
If I remember correctly, there was a guy selling one from a group buy on here a few days ago. Ah - gone now. You can get them posted from the USA I seem to remember. The Ti ones are nice, but I'm not certain if they are worth the extra dosh over the SS ones (says the man with two Emberlit Ti
stoves!)

Apr 9, 2013
London
How does the stove compare to the titanium Honey Stove?

I have both Honeystove and the Ti emberlit, the first difference is the Emberlit is much much easier to set it up, no time at all.

I have also found the Emberlit channel the heat better than the Honeystove due to the shape of the stove.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE