Throwing arrows?

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
When I was growing up we (my friends and I) used to make what we refered to as "Dutch arrows" or "Throwing arrows" these were like short spears that we threw by wrapping a length of string once around the tail end hooking the string over itself catching the knot in it's end, pulling the string taught and holding the arrow like a spear it was then thrown keeping hold of the string to give the arrow extra boost. I remember they were very powerful, one misfire sent an arrow through a slatted chestnut fence. the thing I have never found out is this a variation of an atlatl or does it have a different origin or has no one ever heard of anything like this

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
When I was growing up we (my friends and I) used to make what we refered to as "Dutch arrows" or "Throwing arrows" these were like short spears that we threw by wrapping a length of string once around the tail end hooking the string over itself catching the knot in it's end, pulling the string taught and holding the arrow like a spear it was then thrown keeping hold of the string to give the arrow extra boost. I remember they were very powerful, one misfire sent an arrow through a slatted chestnut fence. the thing I have never found out is this a variation of an atlatl or does it have a different origin or has no one ever heard of anything like this

Whether or not it arose as a deliberate attempt to make a bendy atlatl, I'm not sure, though it's the exact same principle. I think it's more likely that someone just realised the same possibility (longer arm = greater leverage = faster/farther throw) and came up with a different option.

Certainly a fun one though :)

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
yeah my friends and I used to make throwing arrows, that would be about 30 years ago now. had much fun with them :0

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
When I was a boy (early 50's) we made whip darts quite like the ones shown here
http://www.primitiveways.com/shingle_dart.html Tony

shingle_dart2.jpg

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I read al load of web pages on Dutch Arrows & Atlatl's, 6 months ago while I was playing with them. I got the impression that the Dutch Arrows were invented much later & mainly used as a miltary weapon against a large body of troops or as a navel weapon againt boats. The Atlatl in contrast is much older, found all over the world and was probably one of the most succesful hunting weapons for thousands of years before the bow came along. I am no expert but thats the impression I got after spending a day reading about both of these projectiles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE