Thriving Tangerine candle

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
I dont know if this has been done before but heres an idea I had for a survival candle made from a tangerine.

Start with a Tangerine
eqageve4.jpg

Leaving the green stalk end in place, carefully peel leaving the center stalk in place
pu8e9u8u.jpg
upa6azu6.jpg

Eventually ending up with this
9ypu9ydu.jpg

Trim down to size and fill with hot fat left over from frying sausages etc. light the stalk and three hours later, still going
muqudyve.jpg

uraja9at.jpg

What do you think guys

Last edited:

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
It went out about half an hour ago, the whole thing was impregnated with oil, dont know if that would stop it burning or make it worse, probably the latter. It went out anyway, i'd have to try this experiment more than a few times to see if its safe.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Remember seeing a video that showed orange peel "juice" burning very well! Tried it myself, and blow me down - it is true!

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
In a survival situation, you could have a tangerine lurking in your backpack and if you do then after maybe hunting game you could use the oil. Use your head, where do you think he oil would come from. Theres always someone who has to be so negative, I get the feeling some people try and be-little you just to make you look stupid or gain a laugh at your expense.....or is it just me.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
In a survival situation, you could have a tangerine lurking in your backpack and if you do then after maybe hunting game you could use the oil. Use your head, where do you think he oil would come from. Theres always someone who has to be so negative, I get the feeling some people try and be-little you just to make you look stupid or gain a laugh at your expense.....or is it just me.

I wasn't being negative. It's a great idea - but the term survival candle made me chuckle. In a real survival situation you would've eaten both ingredients.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
You would have eaten both ingredients.... Maybe you would but personally i would keep the tangerine peel for burning, i wouldnt eat it and i would keep the oil also for burning or cooking, i wouldnt drink it. You can survive 3 weeks without food, water would be a priority. This candle is made from the bi products, the left overs, the bits you wouldnt eat. Survival for me is mostly a state of mind and about improvising, finding uses for thing you would normally throw away etc etc

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
I appologise if it sounds like i'm getting a weed on, i'm not honest, i m just voicing my opinion. Thats the trouble sometimes with reading text, you cant read the mood behind it. Theres no problem here Mike, I'm chilled. As said just voicing my opinion, nothing personal here.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I love the lateral thinking and inventive nice of the idea and have got this earmarked as a project to do with the kids some day soon. I think having a brain that comes up with these ideas is a great help in a survival situation however I have to agree I would have eaten these items in an actual survival situation. It would be handy in a situation where light would make an environment more pleasant and was not otherwise available though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE