Thriving Tangerine candle

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
I do laugh when people add the word Survival to things when their is no need or irrelevant. Maybe a more relevant title would be free camp candle, as you more likely to have sausage's and some fruit tangerine's with you camping. good recycling your camp waist.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Thats a fair point Karl, never really thought about it before. I suppose its because Im into the survival scene, everything I improvise gets a survival tag but its not always the case, mmmmm food for thought.

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
no problem Gary it made me chuckle :) theirs nothing wrong with learning survival skills as you never know what may happen. a PMA is the first requirement for any survival situation.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
You can survive 3 weeks without food, water would be a priority.

On this note. We get a large proportion of our required water intake from food. Probably not from tangerine peel and animal fat admittedly. But if i'm hungry and have the means to make a fire to light a candle then I think the candle has more value as food and i'll use a normal fire as light.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
As you say, the water content in a tangerine and animal fat is negligible, ask yourself how much water your body would use to digest these items. Everyone knows, in a survival situation, unless you have a sustainable supply of water, your better off eating nothing as your body uses more water to digest food than there is water in the food. This is why I wouldn't be eating much at first,not without plenty of water. If you can catch big game you can smoke the meat to preserve it, use the hide/fur as clothing and collect the fats for cooking, fires, lamps etc etc. water needs to be a priority over food, as said you can live for 3 weeks without food but only 3 days without water. It also a known fact, in a survival situation, we use more water to digest food than there is actually in the food.....in general.

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
Well talking about thinking outside of the box, what if you were stuck on your vehicle with only an orange....and used the dipstick to slowly but surely get enough oil to get that baby burning? It wouldn't smell nice or be too healthy but it would save your butt while you were dreaming about rendering animal oils and "thriving."

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The fat that comes out of my sausages and bacon gets used to fry the eggs, and then it gets soaked up by the bread. Then I eat the lot. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE