Three weeks in Brittian, what to do/see?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jorn

Forager
Aug 26, 2011
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Hello there,

Me and my family (wife, 7 year old daughter, two 2year old boys) are planning to spend our holidays in Brittain this summer. We will take an boat to Newcastle on the 31st of july and need to be back in Holland around the 17th of august.
Our plan is to drive up north to Scotland, coming up the eastside and going down the west. Then we're to drive south and see Wales. We'll finish in the south of England for a quick visit to friends and family in London.
My question to you is:
Where should we go an what should we do?

Our interests: basic camping (water and toilet or hole in the ground is all we really need), cooking on campfire, wildlive, scenery, history, culture and good food.

Any suggestions are welcome, we're basicly looking for inspiration.

Cheers, Jorn

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Once you have left Wales, head to Somerset,
Bath is a nice city, then on to Mendip Hills
City of wells ( Cathedral)
right next to Wells is Glastonbury ( Tor, Stone age lake village, Abbey, shops)
then east to wiltshire ( stone henge, Avebury) then on to London
LOTS to see in london

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
If you are in the North East then take a trip down the Yorkshire coast but especially Whitby great place which unlike most seaside towns has not really lost its charm.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Oxfordshire where I live is beautiful and full of history, but needs a holiday to itself. The West Country is the same but both may mean too much travelling on our crowded and slow roads. I'd make Scotand a first choice if I were you unless the weather forecast is bad. The area around Newcastle and along Hadrian's Wall is really beautiful and is wild and rugged. You could do worse than stay in that area, then drive down to London through Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire on the way. Take a detour through the Fens and see the legacy your countrymen left us- just like home!

jorn

Forager
Aug 26, 2011
Thanks for the replies sofar! I've seen/beento many of the things and sites you suggested. Good one on the bothies though, hadn't thought of that. Don't know if i can get both my boys there, but i will try!

Keep them coming!

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Don't miss out a couple of days in the Lakes as you are passing through

Plenty of basic camping especilay in the Northern area near Keswick , fantastic scenery , good food and pubs.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
For Wales, look at Aber Falls, do Snowdonia, and then come down through mid Wales, Llyn Vyrnwy, and end up in the Brecon Beacons/Black Mountains, do some foodie stuff around Abergavenny, and go to Blaenavon World Heritage Site and see where the industrial revolution started.

Oh, and can I put in a vote for the Peak District of Derbyshire, espcially if you can visit the Blue John mines, and the otter sanctuary.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Bothies,

During the week you may find Doune Bothy empty. It's situated near the top of Loch Lomond. Right by the lochside. It's on the east side.
You can walk in from Ben Glas/Inverarnan. Inverarnan is a great ancient pub.

The Bothy is about 1km walk from where the ferryman drops you off or about 5km south of Inverarnan along the West Highland Way.

Some folk camp out near or in the bothy if doing the WHW and there will be lots of foreign walkers at that time of year.

As you walk in, collect wood along the way for the fire.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
You could head into York, Lots to do and see, Museums, Vikings, Ghosts, Motte and Bailey Castles, Normans, Romans, etc, for a few days, and if your camping, you could drive out toward the River Swale or the Ure, lots of campsites along the Yorkshire Dales rivers.....

It can be expensive in York, but if you plan ahead, you can get some adults go free passes in the museums etc.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
I second the Lake District. Keswick and surrounds (Scafell & Scafell Pike highest peak(s) in England etc) is great, but other faves include the peaceful and often overlooked Loweswater, and the trek from Keswick to the Cockermouth area is beautiful. Black Coombe is an amazing place where the Lakes meet the sea...then we're off up the west coast of Cumbria which is a very quiet and again, overlooked part of the Lakes (due to Sellafield power station).
Other Lakes highlights include (in my opinion) Easdale Tarn, Kentmere valley, Borrowdale valley...

amn1240

Apr 9, 2012
Hampshire
If you go to Stone Henge dont miss going to Avebury as well, there only about 25 miles (as the crow flys) apart. For my money Avebury is better as its bigger and you can walk among the stones.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
If you fancy a day in Salisbury, Wiltshire on your way back towards London, It is a fantastic medieval City that has given birth to many of our countries greats, such as John of Salisbury, Michael Crawford, Anthony Daniels C3P0!!!! and Joseph Fines, and best of all ME!

a great place for a spot of cathedral wandering and good food, using google earth, if you paste these coord in it will fly to the spots,

Park here, 51° 4'4.14"N 1°48'2.87"W

Look around the city in the morning, some fantastic buildings, like the cinema, here 51° 4'6.74"N 1°47'41.21"W

then into the cathedral, It is worth a couple of hours at least, maybe a spot of lunch in the tea rooms by the Warbrode museum 51° 3'58.54"N 1°47'57.68"W

Then after another couple of hours in the close, walk past your car towards Harnham to the old mill pub for tea,

Path starts here, 51° 4'4.35"N 1°48'13.74"W old mill here 51° 3'49.60"N 1°48'29.58"W Maybe even book to stay the night here, if so then I would still walk over and collect your car later, as the views across the meadows from the path towards the cathedral are worth it,

From the National Gallery,

constable-salisbury-cathedral-meadows-L47-fm.jpg

Salisbury-Cathedral-from-the-Bishops-Garden_John-Constable.jpg

I love my home city, I hope if you visit it, you do too:D

jorn

Forager
Aug 26, 2011
Thanks all for your replies! Great to read all your suggestions. We've got a big map of Brittain stuck to the wall an we're sticking post-it notes on where to go. Scotland looks like a mess of notes right now :D.
I used to live in Brittain, 4 years in London and 2 in Perth. I must say i know the south of England pretty well. Personally i was disapointed by Stonehenge, but then the experience probably got spoilt by the busloads of tourists. Avebury is nice though. Never been to Salisbury itself, might drop in there on the way back.
Sofar we've decided that Scotland will be our main target. Pending on the weather we might stay there for a quite a while. I'd like to see Wales, as a haven't really seen it, it's high on my to do list.

Can anybody tell me where to find suitable campsites? Nothing to fancy, we like camping in the wild, but as fa as i know that's only really allowed in Scotland.

And are there any good shows on which i should fit into our scedule? Anything bushcrafty or reanactment typ stuff which should be a laugh for the kids? I'm also interested in traditional crafts like woodworking and knifemaking.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE