Three weeks in Brittian, what to do/see?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Wild camping is not easy and it is technically illegal. I've done it in a camper van all over Europe and the only country I ever got moved on by the police was Holland on both occasions when I tried it.
If you join the Camping and Caravanning Club, you get acces to small camping places on farms all over the country. They are all small, chea, basic and friendly. It might be worth joing as you are staying for three weeks.

www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
As you say Jorn, wild camping is fine in Scotland, and as I posted, going to a bothy would be a great experience.

Have a look here for camping sites.............http://campinmygarden.com/locations
Might prove more interesting than your traditional camp site.

jorn

Forager
Aug 26, 2011
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Wild camping is not easy and it is technically illegal. I've done it in a camper van all over Europe and the only country I ever got moved on by the police was Holland on both occasions when I tried it.
If you join the Camping and Caravanning Club, you get acces to small camping places on farms all over the country. They are all small, chea, basic and friendly. It might be worth joing as you are staying for three weeks.

www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk

Haha, Holland is to small for wild camping, although i have done it succesfully. Mind you that was backpacking with a lightweight tent which is a fair bit easier than hiding a campervan.
I'm a member of a dutch camping club which is directly connected to the english camping an caravaning club, so i don't need to join. I am very much aware of them an dhave used them in the past. Thanks for the link though!

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Hi
use this link http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/ and then refine your search. There are lists of sites that are affiliated with C&C Club and those that permit fires etc. It's a very useful site and has members reviews throughout.

I hope you and your family have a great time.

Just a small warning re road travel in the South of England; You will be visiting during the Olympics and road travel from Dorset north east along the M3 corridor to London for those weeks is likely to be horrific.

ATB
Sack

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
And are there any good shows on which i should fit into our scedule? Anything bushcrafty or reanactment typ stuff which should be a laugh for the kids? I'm also interested in traditional crafts like woodworking and knifemaking.

I used to work at Warwick castle and in the summer they put on a 'festival' where folks dressed up and had activities showing what life was like. Jousting [pretty cool] sword fighting, archery shows, acrobats and jesters wandering around the place, people making suff [arrows, clothes, leather oddments & bits a pieces] and a camp out in the grounds. Also a whole load of games for kids to join in with.

http://www.warwick-castle.com/whats-on/daily-shows.aspx#date-form

jorn

Forager
Aug 26, 2011
Just a small warning re road travel in the South of England; You will be visiting during the Olympics and road travel from Dorset north east along the M3 corridor to London for those weeks is likely to be horrific.

ATB
Sack

Aye, we might just avoid the south of England alltogether. Thanks for the link!

I used to work at Warwick castle and in the summer they put on a 'festival' where folks dressed up and had activities showing what life was like. Jousting [pretty cool] sword fighting, archery shows, acrobats and jesters wandering around the place, people making suff [arrows, clothes, leather oddments & bits a pieces] and a camp out in the grounds. Also a whole load of games for kids to join in with.

http://www.warwick-castle.com/whats-on/daily-shows.aspx#date-form

The kids will love that! But i'll try and find something a bit further up north.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Hi
use this link http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/ and then refine your search. There are lists of sites that are affiliated with C&C Club and those that permit fires etc. It's a very useful site and has members reviews throughout.

I hope you and your family have a great time.

ATB
Sack

Can reccomend Lanfoot Farm campsite near Keswick in Cumbria
somebody on here told me about it as we were looking for a farm site that allowed open fires
My lads enjoyed it for 2 weeks last August , plenty to do

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Oh yes, for camping in mid wales, look at Gigrin farm, near Rhayader. Farm trail, child friendly, video cameras pointed at a badger set, and they feed the local red kites there, getting as many as 50 or more at a time. Handy for the scenic Elan Valley too.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
if you get the chance.get the boat to the summer isles from ullapool.
brixham in devon.
the aquarium in plymouth.
stop off for a meet or two with groups from here.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
No-one's mentioned the Yorkshire Dales yet! Surely worth a drive through at least, from the breweries at Masham, through Hawes, down over Fleet Moss and into Wharfedale?
Or the amount of castles in Northumberland, or the coastline there? In fact if you're driving north from Newcastle, you'll be going right up through Northumberland. You could take in some coastline, some castles, the wild cattle at Chillingham...

jorn

Forager
Aug 26, 2011
Thanks again for al the helpfull replies!

Yorkshire Dales is on the list and so are the castles along the coast up from Newcastle. I will look in to the wild cattle thing, my daughter should love to see that.
Haven't really heard from the summe isles, but we will drive to Ullapool i should think so it might be worth a visit. It seems we might skip the south of England alltogether, as we've got so manny things to see up north. If we do go down south we'll most probably end up in Wales.

Does anybody know where we could get a good experience seeing dolphins and suchs? I know about the dolphin centre at the Spey bay, but i'm thinking somewhere around the westcoast should be better?

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
When you come to Scotland walk to a bothy and stay a night or two. A lot are in stunning locations and you have somewhere to hide from the midge!

Some info here........http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothies.asp

Definitely! And, as you're going round the Scottish coast, go to John O'Groats for the tick and then, frankly, just enjoy the drive. Amazing scenery all round the coast - the West coast especially!

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
try the dolphin observatory under the bridge at inverness.you can see them in the moray firth.also if you get the boat to the summer isles hyou may see them on the way and possibly basking sharks.

jorn

Forager
Aug 26, 2011
That's us off to Scotland!
9107e00c-4389-49b0.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE