three men a badger and a big piece of pork go camping in the rain(pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xander

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2011
bedford england
There's your problem... as soon as you covered the pit over you starved the briquettes of oxygen so they wouldn't have kept burning.

Builder merchant would do them.

If you go in and tell them what you're after and have they got any broken ones you ought to get a good deal on them :)

Engineering bricks are best because they're fired at a higher temperature than ordinary bricks to make them waterproof

the briquettes were still well hot when we dug them up i think some on the top would have helped and a but longer lol but you are right rocks or bricks would have helped loads

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello and welcome to Pete!
That looks like a great intro to the game of "bushcrafting" for you :)
Cummon Xander - there must be a heroic story to the arm... :D

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Looks like a fantastic trip, with some good eating too!

Next time you do a pit oven, as well as the hot stones / bricks, put a couple of damp towels on top then cover with the soil. It helps to steam your meat, keeping it moist.

Also throw a few veggies in with your meat, cabbage, potatoes, carrots etc...nom nom nom.

Enjoy

Simon

xander

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2011
bedford england
Cummon Xander - there must be a heroic story to the arm... :D

lol well i ran myself over with a massive radio controlled car
http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/31914/
one like that
i was driving it past me and a m8 and it hit a house brick it skidded out so pushed my m8 out the way and tried to jump it but it clipped me sending me cartwheeling through the air i put out my right arm and 14 stone of me landing on it fractured my wrist lol DOH

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
lol well i ran myself over with a massive radio controlled car
http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/31914/
one like that
i was driving it past me and a m8 and it hit a house brick it skidded out so pushed my m8 out the way and tried to jump it but it clipped me sending me cartwheeling through the air i put out my right arm and 14 stone of me landing on it fractured my wrist lol DOH
OK so we have the story...
" Selfless bushcrafter sacrifices self to save mate in high powered vehicle crash horror"
Heroic enough for me....
Pity you were driving at the time., though it does add a touch of farce to the story...
"Bumbling bushcrafter runs self over while trying to vault toy car" :)
Heal fast!

Ape_Ogre

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2010
Southport, UK
The main problem with this thread is... it's made me really hungry, I can smell that pig cooking ! Lovely stuff, jealous.

I have seen this cooking in a hole method before and I am sure it works very well but I think you'd miss the smell of cooking meat you get with the pointy stick method... looks like you got the best of both worlds !

Last edited:

garyford

Dec 2, 2007
musselburgh
once you have been out a gain you will learn how to do things wright,but my 9 year old would know to put hot rocks on top.best luck next time.

The main problem with this thread is... it's made me really hungry, I can smell that pig cooking ! Lovely stuff, jealous.

I have seen this cooking in a hole method before and I am sure it works very well but I think you'd miss the smell of cooking meat you get with the pointy stick method... looks like you got the best of both worlds !
it was a lovely smell and made much better viewing watching it cook over the fire

im thinking ill save up next time get a big bit off beef hmmmmmmm lol
perhaps a smaller bit of meat next time would work better?

once you have been out a gain you will learn how to do things wright,but my 9 year old would know to put hot rocks on top.best luck next time.
Well it was an experiment and a learning experience based on something i remembered my old scout leader doing over a decade ago. your nine year old is very lucky to have a dad who practices bush craft so he can learn directly from you,alas i am having to learn it all from books and recollections that are quite old.
mind you frpm my mistakes others will learn so it isn't a bad thing :)
cheers
Sam,

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Great stuff Sam and gang! Boris the badger is an outstanding mascot, nice one!

@garyford - no need, sir, for the attempt to pi$$ on Sam's parade. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Gordy

cheers gordy glad you like Boris he has accompanied me on many trips including both the Woodlore courses i have done so far.
The entire family has a badger each as a running joke/theme
i am already planning the next trip up the woods hopefully my good lady and our new born will be able to come out and join me

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE