Three Day Get Away

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I went on a three day trip to the woods. I was there to gather some specific photos, but a also found some cool ones for a hike thread.

IMG_7423.jpg

IMG_7483.jpg

IMG_7482.jpg

IMG_7385.jpg

Spent a little time enjoying the view from "Snoopers Rock", got to see a few buzzards riding thermals.

IMG_7424.jpg

IMG_7426.jpg

IMG_7131.jpg

Saw some future Blackberries...and some spiders

IMG_7090.jpg

IMG_7092.jpg

IMG_7099.jpg

Lunch the first day.

IMG_7381.jpg

Lots of Polk Salad up too. I learned...judging by the only prints in the immediate area, that apparently deer like Polk salad and are smart enough to only eat only the small young shoots or just the top parts of the larger plants.

IMG_7409.jpg

IMG_7469.jpg

IMG_7471.jpg

IMG_7472.jpg

I have no idea what this is...

IMG_7415.jpg

Big ant holes? Thing only things around the first hole were large black ants and a few yellow jackets and neither were going in or out of the hole.

IMG_7400.jpg

IMG_7060.jpg

I spotted this little guy checking me out...wondering what I was doing in his neck of the woods.

IMG_7388.jpg

Looks like he, or one of his cousins, has been hanging out here.

IMG_7403.jpg

I decided I liked the idea of putting the photon "Black crater" cord-lock light on the same lanyard as my fire starter. The light came in handy several times over the trip. I also learned that I really like the sheath Marion made for the RC-3, the retention is awesome!

IMG_7406.jpg

The second night I spent over at Davis Pond. There was a lot to see over there. The cherries are kind of sparse this year but coming along and a lot better than last year.

IMG_7462.jpg

The peaches are really looking good though.

IMG_7467.jpg

IMG_7465.jpg

Lots of Dragon flies.

IMG_7461.jpg

IMG_7459.jpg

IMG_7458.jpg

IMG_7159.jpg

IMG_7162.jpg

Apparently Dragonfly mating creates a lot of friction or water is needed for the fertilization process...Couples would repeatedly fly down to the water, disengage long enough for the one to drop down and dip their tail in the water and then re-engage.

IMG_7245.jpg

IMG_7244.jpg

Then there on the last evening I made a nice fire, cooked a good dinner, and enjoyed the view listening to the sounds of the frogs, crickets, and crackling fire as the sun went down. I got the eggs a little over done in the effort to take the pics, but I'll take slightly overdone eggs in the woods cooked on an open fire over perfect eggs at a restaurant in a city any day :D

IMG_7497.jpg

IMG_7501.jpg

IMG_7502.jpg

IMG_7503.jpg

IMG_7485.jpg

IMG_7511.jpg

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Nice one, as always, some lovely pics there, looks like a great couple of days out and about.

cheers,

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Excellent shots, wonderful places and opportunities there...
Just out of curiosity, what's in the tin under the fork in the first food (lunch) picture?
Chris

Firebringer

Jun 5, 2009
Scotland
Thanks for the post and pictures. As mentioned some of the photography is stunning. I too am curious about what's in the tin. My money would be on either mussels/oysters or catfood :)

Great photo's , thanks for sharing

Thank you, glad you liked them

you are so spoiled. ;)

Hmmmm...maybe, but what makes you say that? :)

Nice one, as always, some lovely pics there, looks like a great couple of days out and about.

cheers,

Thanks Nag, it was work related and some exhausting days but great fun none the less. Glad you enjoyed the photos.

:D Wow, what a great few days, thanks for showing us all.

Steak looks good too :)

Thank you, after a reeeaally long day out it was great :)

Breath taking shots - where abouts is this?

Dragonfly lay their eggs in water, the larvael & nymph stage is totally aquatic - a fiersome beast with big hooked jaws that it can fire off like gieger's Alien to catch other invertebraets and little fish this one gets a minnow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Q8gUTmyd8&feature=related

Thank you, it is in S.E. Tennessee U.S.A.

Thank you for that, I've learned a good deal more than I knew about dragonflies since taking these shots.

Excellent shots, wonderful places and opportunities there...
Just out of curiosity, what's in the tin under the fork in the first food (lunch) picture?
Chris

Thanks for the post and pictures. As mentioned some of the photography is stunning. I too am curious about what's in the tin. My money would be on either mussels/oysters or catfood :)

Thank you, I'm really glad you enjoyed the photos!

It is smoked oysters in the tin, been a long time (thankfully) since I was hungry enough to eat catfood...I'm also sort of thankful now that I didn't have any on those occasions :)

Thanks guys, I'm glad you enjoyed the pics!

Yes Drew...should be getting more colorful pics up now...the drab dreary grey of winter, while one of my favorite times of the year, doesn't always make for good pictures.

You're right about that Dave, should I ever become wealthy I think I'll open a restaurant with such a view :)

Sorry to hear you've been under the weather Ash, bit early in the cooler months for that isn't it? That's the Tennessee River just west of Moccasin Bend.

Docherty

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2010
Dorset
Thank you, it is in S.E. Tennessee U.S.A.

Thank you for that, I've learned a good deal more than I knew about dragonflies since taking these shots.

No worries, they're amazing creatures - some have been clocked at 50-60 mph. Thanks for sharing what looks like an amazing forrest with us.

No worries, they're amazing creatures - some have been clocked at 50-60 mph. Thanks for sharing what looks like an amazing forrest with us.

I was amazed just watching them...I must have stood there nearly an hour.

Superb, thanks for sharing Brian goodjob

Thanks Rich, I'm glad you liked the photos!

Lovely post as always Brian, nice one mate.

Thank you kindly Andy, I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

Great pictures there goodjob

Thank you, glad you liked them

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE