Thread for leatherworking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Post Tenebras Lux

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Hi folks,

So I have been really tempted by some fire steel belt loops I've seen for a while now and in fairness they're expertly made and reasonably priced, but I just feel it's something I should at least try and make myself, plus it'd save me some pennies in the process.

Excuse my terrible artistic ability in trying to demonstrate, but this is the basic design and I am trying to get advice on what thread I should be using that's heavy duty and something that can handle a bit of weather over time.

kaebNnt.png

twyforge

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2013
Winchester
The stuff I believe that you're looking for is waxed linen thread. Comes in a wide array of colours and is very strong. You can also buy just normal linen thread and wax it yourself with most any wax, although beeswax would be my wax of choice. Use saddle stitch for extra strength too.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi....looks very much like my design....good luck with it and if so its always flattering to see someone inspired by my work so long as they dont then use my work against me financially....this happens almost monthly and is rather hard to swallow, hope you understand....look forward to seeing pics....and yup thick thread is readily available on ebay waxed or not....

regards

sonni

Post Tenebras Lux

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2015
Cambridgeshire
hi....looks very much like my design....good luck with it and if so its always flattering to see someone inspired by my work so long as they dont then use my work against me financially....this happens almost monthly and is rather hard to swallow, hope you understand....look forward to seeing pics....and yup thick thread is readily available on ebay waxed or not....

regards

sonni

Hi Sonni,

It's actually yours I'm planning on buying as well :) I am just trying to get used to making things myself because I hope I'll relying more and more on my own skills in the future.

Hoping to buy a belt, loop, bahco pouch and axe loop and a few other bits from you in November/December, though!

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hey man, its all kool, was just saying. i'm into giving but theres too many out there into taking unfortunately....

personally i use artificial sinew for stitching.

anything you want drop me a line direct and i'll sort out the best price i can no worries,

regards

s

ps....if youre going to use other peoples patterns as inspiration its always nice to give a credit where due:)

Hi Sonni,

It's actually yours I'm planning on buying as well :) I am just trying to get used to making things myself because I hope I'll relying more and more on my own skills in the future.

Hoping to buy a belt, loop, bahco pouch and axe loop and a few other bits from you in November/December, though!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I am forever copying your stuff Angst, and Luckylee too.

Don't worry though if anyone else wants one they can make their heffin own! Or i send them to you guys. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE