Thoughts on knife makers please

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
Ok so time has arrived that I want a nice hand crafted blade, having looked around on here, britishblades forum, and various makers websites I have come up with a few basic things I want in my knife.

1.I want a design similar to the Mora clipper and Woodlore knife.
2.I want the blade made in O1 tool steel.
3.I want the handle in wood.
4.I want to buy from a British maker.
5.I want a hand crafted blade rather than a blade cut from some old saw wheel etc.

I fully realise that many fine blades can be crafted from things that I have purposely excluded however I feel when you commission something this special then you don't compromise for the sake of taste. My budget for this will be £150, so I accept there are some things that simply cannot happen on that budget.

With all this in mind here are a few pictures of knives I very much like the look of.

Here is one made by Will Adams of Bushblade
cp01.jpg

A couple from Stuart Marsh
bub%26bem%20003.jpg

I also liked the blade look of Rob Bailey's Raven series however was a little put off by the synthetic handle.

So does anyone out there have any recommendations of knife makers who would be able to work with my requirements to produce a quality hand crafted blade within my budget area?

bigandy

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
horwich lancashire
not sure on the budget but have a look at dave budd,truely handmade unique and some stunning work.if its your thing, you can go on a one day course with him and make your own forged blade!!then you wll have to handle it to keep it in your budget or just see what he has already made up.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I have a few Stewart Marsh woodies, also a Terry Kidd, a Mick Spain and a lovely Paul Harris. The one I use is my first which is a Stewart Marsh with black micarta scales. Been around for about 6 years and lots of outings and courses. In the UK there are plenty of quality makers.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Other than no1
1.I want a design similar to the Mora clipper and Woodlore knife
being an odd statement the rest should be easy just look through some threads in the makers sales and this section it should be easy

BTW how are a handmade fulltang prybar and factory made slim bladeed stick tang similiar aother than being sharp?

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I'll add JLT knives, Adam is a great bloke(i have 3 of his knives) also Rob Evans, i had one of his on a pass around, a superb knife. I also have a couple by Chevin over on BB.

You realy are stuck for choice.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE