This weekend I have been...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
Wild Camping on Inchconnachan.

Dirty Karlos and myself went up to Loch Lommond with his canoe, and spent a most enjoyable weekend there with the wallabies and osprey.

Highlights include; Me forgetting my hat (thus invalidating the activity for bushcraft purposes!)
Karl forgetting his gas stoves (they were in the car) fortunately I had my gillie kettle,
and me getting lost...on an island...a kilometre long! It's a gift I tell you!;-)

All in all the weather was changable, the food was good and so was the company.

Thanks for inviting me Karl.

Full write up with pics to follow.

Cheers, Alan.

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
It's a pretty special place when you get it to yourselves, did you have many neds for company ?

No, no neds present but plenty of evidence of them.
We picked up four carrier bags of litter from the beach.

You're right it is pretty special, this was my first trip up to Scotland and you can be assured that it won't be my last.

Dirty Karlos

Forager
Oct 16, 2007
Hull
www.karlholtby.com
Cheers Alan, it was indeed a great long weekend.

That last open water crossing made a better paddler out of me also, and you did really well, I was really working at the back of that canoe I can tell you!

I found the knack of watching for the biggest waves and then turning into them, almost like you would turn a car into a skid!

I don't know if you have heard Alan, but a father and son died whilst out on another loch that day when we were crossing, the conditions were pretty bad everywhere it would seem :-(

Anyway, when I get chance I will post up my pics.

Oh, I am deffo off to the Lakes this weekend with Mrs Dirty Karlos, we have decided on Ullswater.

See ya soon.

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
Hi folks,
here's the link to my pics

http://s1018.photobucket.com/albums/af306/subedarmajor/Out and About/

A lot of fun was had by us in the short space of time we were there.

I think that low point for me was when I got a bucket load of water down the back of my neck on the first night, while trying to get my gillie kettle lit so that we could have dinner.

Apparently my face was quite a picture.

Conditions rapidly improved and we had a glorious second day.
I spent most of that by myself as Karlos had been obliged to return to shore for his gas stoves. So I contented myself by having a scout around for fire wood and a bathing area, and tidying up the beach.

Upon his return at around lunch time, Karl tried his hand at fishing. I went for another scout for fire wood, and found some wallabies. It is quite a bizarre experience seeing them in the wild in the UK.

Me being me I promptly got lost (on an island!?) and took around an hour to get back (it's a natural talent, I've got no formal training.) Upon my return I was greeted by a slightly frantic Karlos who had been worrying where I had got to.

The rest of the day was uneventful, we were visited by a very friendly and chatty family who were out for a paddle and had come to see the wallabies.

The following day was less favourable weather wise, though we got a chance to go out for a paddle in the middle of the day. We found more evidence of ned vistation in the form of an unattended fire left with two big logs on it, presumably to burn off the carrier bag of beers cans that had been left on it!

After lunch we decided to break camp and head back to shore, so after checking to see that we had "left no trace" we set off.
The next hour was rather intense and strenuous, as we had not counted on the wind being as strong as it was. We got back soaked and tired, and unloaded the canoe and strapped it to the car. We then found out that islands were off limits due to the water level.

We spent our last night on a local campsite, and the following morning Karlos tried to kill me by setting a frantic pace up Ben Lommond. OK it wasn't that frantic but I'm not as fit as I used to be.

All in all, it was a fabulous weekend and everyone we met was very friendly.

Cheers, Alan.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE