This Steak is better than That Steak...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
See above Yes, it’s painful not to be milked. If the nursing mothers I’ve known are to be believed it’s also true of humans.

Then I'm not sure if that's an act of Pure intelligence ? to go to somewhere that brings relief from Pain?? Maybe wrong.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Then I'm not sure if that's an act of Pure intelligence ? to go to somewhere that brings relief from Pain?? Maybe wrong.
I think the “intelligence” thing comes in simply by learning what needs to be done to relieve that pain. I’m sure they don’t understand “why” or “how” it relieves the pain, but they do learn that taking certain actions such as getting into the stalls and being hooked up gives the desired result. Does that make sense?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Cows are bred to produce so much milk it hurts. Don't what ever you do look on the peta website, it is so sad.
And so incorrect in a lot of what they say or publish. It's a hypocritical organisation for activists more interested in activism than truth.

They've been shown to be deliberately misleading. For example one of their videos of British location was tracked back to Asia. That's often the case.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The cows enter the stall, food gets dispensed and tests engaged with robotic mechanism. AIUI a chip in their ear tag records the cow and of it's been in too recently no food and no milking. It's not for your big dairy farms but your smaller ones going after welfare premiums I guess. Seen it on countryfile last year.

AIUI cows produce to demand, if demand stupid such as milking stopped, then the milk production tapers off. It is not good to straight stop milking I believe. Ultimately a cow stops producing milk so I doubt it would be in pain on a day to day basis. Can't see farmers allowing a cow heavily laden with saleable product keep it to the point the animal suffers. Every farmer I know is acutely aware of money making opportunities shall we say.

I once had a friend who was a dairy farmer. Foot and mouth meant he nearly had a breakdown. Nice guy but never had much free time. It's really a vocation not a job. Cows are such hard work in dairy herds. Even meat cattle is harder than other livestock husbandry. I've got another friend who has a small farm rearing sheep and they rear calves for a farming company that supplies a whole range of sales outlets from budget to premium. With the same beef!!!

Reactions: santaman2000

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Whereas I agree with your comment Paul about activist organisations and websites, I must point out that Countryfile is also propaganda - the fairy tale farming they depict is rarely what goes on in practice - I should point out that I worked as a farm labourer in my youth and now live surrounded by farms of various sizes.

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I didn't, a friend sent me to a farming link where they showed the proof of their lies.

In case you hadn't guessed I'm tending to be pro farming and anti what used to be called animal libbers but now have morphed into anything from vegan activists to extreme anti farming activists. One story relatively locally was when a mink farm got raided by animal libbers near Garstang I believe. They opened all the cages and let them out!!!

I bet you can guess what negative impact that had!! Then years later I saw a mink on the bank of the River Lune where I was kayaking. A friend's parents owned a canal barge moored at Galgate near Lancaster. A fellow boater saw two mink climbing into their boat. Then saw them come out n again 20 minutes later. The insurance claim was for £20,000!!!!!! Paid out in full. I believe it's been 30 or 40 years since their release and they're still here.

Reactions: santaman2000

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Whereas I agree with your comment Paul about activist organisations and websites, I must point out that Countryfile is also propaganda - the fairy tale farming they depict is rarely what goes on in practice - I should point out that I worked as a farm labourer in my youth and now live surrounded by farms of various sizes.
I've lived near farms most of my life so I know they're not countryfile rosy. In fact farmers I know don't see that programme as being about farming these days, kind of not reality of it. They do occasionally get things right though most of the time they're more hobby programme for non farmers. Perhaps a bit unfair. It's really why I rarely watch it. It's more about the presenters looking good IMHO.

If you want better farming information get to know a few farmers I say. I grew up playing on my mates family farm, well his grandparents but that didn't matter we both lived in the edge of their mixed livestock and arable farm. Then market gardeners are even better to know. Mis-shapen or ripe tomatoes are still perfectly acceptable when they're freely given. Grew up there never needing to buy tomatoes. Also they often had interesting shapes too. Faces with big noses or genitalia still got laughs until we moved away.

Whatever the truth farming isn't the hotbed of animal cruelty such activists make out.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I didn't, a friend sent me to a farming link where they showed the proof of their lies.

In case you hadn't guessed I'm tending to be pro farming and anti what used to be called animal libbers but now have morphed into anything from vegan activists to extreme anti farming activists. One story relatively locally was when a mink farm got raided by animal libbers near Garstang I believe. They opened all the cages and let them out!!!

I bet you can guess what negative impact that had!! Then years later I saw a mink on the bank of the River Lune where I was kayaking. A friend's parents owned a canal barge moored at Galgate near Lancaster. A fellow boater saw two mink climbing into their boat. Then saw them come out n again 20 minutes later. The insurance claim was for £20,000!!!!!! Paid out in full. I believe it's been 30 or 40 years since their release and they're still here.

I remember reading about that mink release. Animal liberation front rings a bell

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Going back to the OP I firmly believe my steaks are the best....

I took this small buck without him having the faintest idea we were there. Having looked around and decided he was not going to do well against the bigger bucks and managing the density on the farmland we manage.

I am often told I am cruel by anti hunters who then say they get their meat from the supermarket.

I do like good beef every now and again, and milk in my tea.

Attachments

• 20200426_162919.jpg
    20200426_162919.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I am often told I am cruel by anti hunters who then say they get their meat from the supermarket.

That's the bit I really don't understand - Its a Kinda Food hypocrisy , It seems that its OK to consume Meat but not to be the One doing the dispatching. And Don't get me wrong I get no sick pleasure from Hunting or dispatching an animal its just the required element to be able to enjoy the product.

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
That's the bit I really don't understand - Its a Kinda Food hypocrisy , It seems that its OK to consume Meat but not to be the One doing the dispatching. And Don't get me wrong I get no sick pleasure from Hunting or dispatching an animal its just the required element to be able to enjoy the product.
Exactly. I feel sad every time I kill a deer, but relieved that it met it's end humanely and proud when it's on the plate.

My mouth is watering looking at those steaks....

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE