This one has come to his learning early...

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I learnt four very important lessons today:

1/ Green Heat fuel cells are OK. But, truth to be told, they're not that good.
2/ Elder makes an extremely poor fuel.
3/ There's nothing quite like cooking on an open fire. As well we all know, deep down inside.
4/ Cheese Doritos are just about the best cheese flavoured snack product.

In truth, I already knew #1 and #3 (oh, and #4) but was in denial up until today.
What have you learnt?

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
lol durulz it must be a good day for learning new things.

My 18month old Border collie learnt that she cannot catch deer!! (even though she is very fast)

I learnt that whilst chasing a deer she is not going to listen.

I also learnt that no matter how much I really really really need a nice shiney new knife swmbo is not going to let me have one.

I also learnt about Black Vine Weevil.( I think I have a small colony of them devouring our garden shrubs!!!)

I can sleep tonight in the knowledge I have finished the day somewaht more enlightened than when i got up this morning.....loI

Andy

Wayland

Hárbarðr

3/ There's nothing quite like cooking on an open fire. As well we all know, deep down inside.

In truth, I already knew #1 and #3 (oh, and #4) but was in denial up until today.
What have you learnt?

It sound like you missed one out.

Doritos are a better fuel source than Green Heat or Elder......:D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That midgies from Skye can survive being packed away in a tent and brought home :rolleyes:

That menfolks (well, my menfolk) can't file papers to save themselves :sigh:

That antepsin makes me dizzy :confused:

and things I knew but am glad to be reminded of,

That ants and newts are fascinating to watch :D and stroking a drowsy cat is a very peaceful way to spend a half hour sitting in the garden :D

That the scent of roses and heartease and wallflowers is lovely :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
I learnt that when filthy people pour the fat out of barbecues onto the beach and my flaming dog eats the solidified fat she will eventually c**p sandstone.

Last beachwalk for her until the sunshine goes away.

Somethings are better not learned :rolleyes:

Well....I learned a few things today.....

I learned that 0-1 steel, with which I was unfamiliar with untill just recently, with the right heat treat and fashioned and sharpened by a good knife maker can hold a razor sharp edge even after a good deal of chopping, cutting, and whittling. (don't ask)

I learned that three year old girls can be surprisingly stealthy, amazingly quick, and extremely lucky when my daughter said here daddy and handed me a live wasp that never stung her.

That even after many years I am still quite fond of chocolate cake.

and that the world will likely never have a shortage of closed minded people no matter how long I try to wait it out.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
...... I also learnt that no matter how much I really really really need a nice shiney new knife swmbo is not going to let me have one.

I also learnt about Black Vine Weevil.( I think I have a small colony of them devouring our garden shrubs!!!)......

Simply explain to SWMBO that the nice, shiny new knife will help you in the battle against the Black Vine Weevil colony, which are devouring your garden shrubs!
happy0034.gif

What could be easier? She'll immediately see you as the heroic family defender, buy you the nice, shiny new knife, and look upon you with wonder and awe as you defeat the hordes of evil Weevil's!
happy0054.gif

It all seems so straightforward, what could possibly go wrong............

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Simply explain to SWMBO that the nice, shiny new knife will help you in the battle against the Black Vine Weevil colony, which are devouring your garden shrubs!
happy0034.gif

What could be easier? She'll immediately see you as the heroic family defender, buy you the nice, shiny new knife, and look upon you with wonder and awe as you defeat the hordes of evil Weevil's!
happy0054.gif

It all seems so straightforward, what could possibly go wrong............

But if the evil Weevils don't go away then he will have the Weevils and the wrath of SWMBO to deal with! At least if he doesn't buy the knife and the wevils don't go away he will be choosing the lesser of two Weevils :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm

I'll get me coat :approve:

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
As a complete numpty in the area of plant and tree ID. Maybe not today but a couple of days ago while out at Loch Ken with a few others I learned how to recognize and taste a pignut for the very first time. Very nice too, next time I'm gonna try and roast a few.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I learned that three year old girls can be surprisingly stealthy, amazingly quick, and extremely lucky when my daughter said here daddy and handed me a live wasp that never stung her.

Mistwalker,

I was told a long time ago that there's an angel that takes care of children and drunks.

If there is, I'd like to thank that angel publicly, here and now, for helping me to survive my childhood, and all of the stupid things that I've done whilst drunk since.

Cheers, Michael.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland

What have you learnt?

Hmmm...Doritos. Huhhhhhhhhhh.....:D

Mistwalker,

I was told a long time ago that there's an angel that takes care of children and drunks.

If there is, I'd like to thank that angel publicly, here and now, for helping me to survive my childhood, and all of the stupid things that I've done whilst drunk since.

Cheers, Michael.

Here here...me too!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE