This knife making lark...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
...is still giving me some pleasure! I finished this little knife and the sheath last week end.

DSCF5431.jpg

DSCF5428.jpg

DSCF5429.jpg

It's a fairly conventional full tang, 7 1/2" long with a 3 1/4" cutting edge. The blade is 2.5mm thick 01 steel. THe scales are spalted Hornbeam. The handle was left soaking 24 hours in boiled linseed oil, then wiped dry and left to harden for a while.

The sheath is a horizontal carry for right handed use: it can be positioned on the left hip or across the body. By using two large press studs, it can be removed without having to undo your belt and becoming socially unacceptable...:rolleyes: The thing can also be carry vertically on the belt by using the slots on the back.

The colour was obtained using Neat's foot oil, iron oxide and some Best Stockholm Tar, then a further application of some more tar, followed by shoe polish to get a nice shine. I have gone off using conventional dyes, and I can get just as well, or rather better finishes using more natural materials. It certainly smells a lot better!

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Cracking work jojo.
Just had a go at making a sheath for junior's proto-bushy but may have to burn it and start again now that I've seen yours.
:sulkoff:
Cheers , Simon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lovely looking knife Joel

I have always wanted to see you do a 12" bladed dirk....don't know why...would just love to see your take on one!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Thanks for all the positive comment gents. Wher did I get the Hornbeam? err...:dunno: some shop on the internet and I can't think of the name at the minute... (well it's 5am :sleeping:) I'll have to wake up better and look it up.

Red.. :) Yes, you mentioned this before and It's now a project tucked away in the back of my mind. I even bought a nice piece of Bog Oak a while back for just this purpose. Problem is I have just used it to turn a handle for a viking knife :rolleyes:

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Red.. :) Yes, you mentioned this before and It's now a project tucked away in the back of my mind. I even bought a nice piece of Bog Oak a while back for just this purpose. Problem is I have just used it to turn a handle for a viking knife :rolleyes:

You just know I can nag, and whine, and hint and nudge....just to get to see knives I like:)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bog oak does sound perfect..maybe worked to make it ridged a littled for grip....nice and plain 12" blade...just a little file work so you can feel / see the orientation in low light .......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE