This is your chance to increase bushcraft!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stevo

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2005
Scotland
I am currently writing a 4th year dissertation paper for my university course (Outdoor Education). The title is: Can Bushcraft related outdoor education programmes be justified in the Scottish school curriculum? I am just at the beginning of the study, and I am just designing my research at the moment. I will be designing questionaires to give to Bushcraft schools and organisations as part of my research. I think I am aware of most of the bushcraft companies in Britain, but can anyone contibute to my knowledge. I am looking in particular for people running courses in Scotland. It doesn;t have to be an outrite bushcraft school, just anyone running anything bushcrafty?

If anyopne wants more info, let me know.

cheers...

stevo

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2005
Scotland
nishishinandy said:
Hey, Just wondering what university course you are studying?sounds interesting.

Andy

I'm at Edinburgh University. The undergraduate degree is in its second last year, so you can no longer do it, but there are other uni's such as liverpool doing an undergrad. At Edinburgh though, they still have a very popular masters degree. If you wan to look it up,,,,,,,

http://www.education.ed.ac.uk/outdoored/index.html

Stevo

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Stevo

Another aspect which might interest you is the Forest Schools movement which is already using 'bushcraft skills' to assist pupils within the NC. The Forestry Commission are starting to take it up on their sites too. Do a Google search to find out more.

Hope that helps.

Bob :)

CraigM9

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2005
Clackmannanshire Scotland
Stevo,

I work for a company offering alternative curriculum to dissafected and challenging S3 & 4 pupils in 4 schools in Stirling. I have about 6 in every class (mostly lads) who are always asking me about bushcraft from watching Ray Mears etc.
I think there is potential for this as schools remits are starting to widen to match students needs. PM me for more info - I would be interested in part of your dissertation and may be able to help you out!

Craig.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
The only thing I can add input on is the fact that when teaching kids during the summer.

On the survival part being a bushcrafter I ran a more comprehensive session on that. They enjoyed it a lot.

The original session plan was something like, take them through a small list of things and let them discuss possibles for it's use etc, eg orange juice, bottle of water, pot, tarp, dog food, glass bottle, tin foil bla bla
They actually gave me some ideas in some cases.
then move onto shelter building, with usually 12 kids 6 per group, they only just managed to get a lean too done, some of them excelled and actually completed a mud hut.
We then tested the shelter by throwing the largest heaviest things we could at it. eg rocks, logs.
It made them feel so much better to see it stay up.
We then tested the waterproffness of it. by throwing water into the entry way..lol
They loved it.

I ran demos of flint and steel, as well as water collection and various shelter designs made from twigs, demonstrating different materials, reflectors, fire locations etc.
In some cases I also displayed and let them discuss my kit.
Gets some giggles when tampons and condoms come out but they handled it very well once they discovered the reasons for everything.

We only had ninety minutes but I believe my course was better than any other instructor there, excluding just a few. with equalled knowledge.

I am not sure how many of them took in the info, but I got dozens of thank you letters.
During the hike session they enjoyed discussing some of the things I found on the routes during the time I walked it, eg hooves found on the trail, tracks, plants and their uses kind of, pointing out the poisonous ones, etc

We weren't allowed to let them eat anything, I think they would have looked at things differently for trying oxalis accetosella.
They also loved the ant hill, and discussing methods of aqquiring food from it.
It was a hugh hill over four foot high and looked amazing when the sun was on it.

I also remember reading about a test recently used to find out if kids could recognise basic tree shapes and most of them failed, though most of the adults did too.

The problem with putting this kind of thing into the cirriculum is the number of people actually able to teach it.
Most teachers wouldn't be able to do most of it, But taking field trips and letting the kids try to identify things would have many advantages I think.
Fibres can be bought and cordage is not hard to learn.
Fire is beyond the regular teacher but fire steel isn't, I hope.
Water can lead into and from other things eg third world countries, diseases. etc
Adding the help position to swimming tests would not be difficult.
There are many other possibles and as much as I would like to see something like this in schools, I do not believe the right ppl would be involved in implimenting it, and it may lead to more problems than it is worth.

Some schools in africa I know still have tests in bushcraft, but they were perhaps in a better position to do something accurate and worth while.

just my 2 cents

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bob said:
Stevo
Another aspect which might interest you is the Forest Schools movement which is already using 'bushcraft skills' to assist pupils within the NC. The Forestry Commission are starting to take it up on their sites too. Do a Google search to find out more.
Hope that helps.
Bob :)

Links in Scotland can be found under Forest Education Initiative, they're trying to increase the number of their cluster groups just now.
http://www.foresteducation.org/forest_schools.php

Cheers,
Toddy

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
lol
so you are essentially using other peoples ideas and programs to knock together your own to which you can sell to the education dept
cheeky

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE