This is what bushcraft is about

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
"Hunter who broke both legs in the wilderness wrote goodbye letter to his wife and kids then prepared for suicide – but he changed his mind and crawled FOUR DAYS to safety"

I think there are folk that will disagree that this was bushcraft. Determination and survival, most certainly, but there isn't much mention of any skills other than making a splint, crawling, praying and not dying.

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Yeah I must say, albeit an admirable display of determination and survival, it's not bushcraft. I guess he did get a fire going each night though to his credit.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I have to agree, for me one of the things that differentiates bushcraft and survival is the circumstances of the situation, this guy's in very great danger and has to survive it, in this case he crawled out, that's so tough, he survived the situation, I think in circumstances like this bushcraft helps people survive, it could have helped him identify berry and fungi, or know where to shelter for the night etc but he's well and truly into a survival situation and not a self imposed bushcraft situation, don't et me wrong there's some huge overlap but for me it's the circumstances that dictate the definition.

Thanks for posting it up, things like this always get one thinking...

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Perfect example of when a survival kit comes into play and underlines my comments elsewhere about not relying on mobility to get you out of trouble.

This is survival pure and simple. Some people would have sat down and died.

Are bushcraft skills useful in this situation? Hell yes and it's why I got into Bushcraft in the first place. Having the knowledge to create shelter, build fire and navigate are all solid bushcraft skills but I see Bushcraft as being about the skills to live and thrive in Wilderness rather than pure survival like this.

Great story. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Good story but typical Daily Fail - The headline says he broke both legs, but the article explains he broke both bones in one leg.

Z

Perfect example of when a survival kit comes into play and underlines my comments elsewhere about not relying on mobility to get you out of trouble.

This is survival pure and simple. Some people would have sat down and died.

Are bushcraft skills useful in this situation? Hell yes and it's why I got into Bushcraft in the first place. Having the knowledge to create shelter, build fire and navigate are all solid bushcraft skills but I see Bushcraft as being about the skills to live and thrive in Wilderness rather than pure survival like this.

Great story. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it shows a good level of survival and bushcraft knowledge and the ability to get his **** out of a corner

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
This is mental survival keeping focused. Kit is good to have, equal to knowledge to use it. Good for him and his family (motivation).

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

Is that the Chris Bonnington and Doug Scott episode - belly frostbite and surviving on fruit pastils as the camps had been abandoned when all thought they were dead?
Oh-just saw the link - duh!
I talked to CB about that trip many years ago - it sounded really horrific (even when told in CB's plumby and calm voice!) and a true victory for the spirit of "Never say Die".

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Is that the Chris Bonnington and Doug Scott episode - belly frostbite and surviving on fruit pastils as the camps had been abandoned when all thought they were dead?
Oh-just saw the link - duh!
I talked to CB about that trip many years ago - it sounded really horrific (even when told in CB's plumby and calm voice!) and a true victory for the spirit of "Never say Die".

Yeah, that's the one, both of them used to life close to me when I was a kid but Doug and family were next door but one (which worked out at about a quarter of a mile away it was a rural area).
Can't say I really know Chris although I do recognise him though and I used to hoon past his house just on the border to the fells when I had a motorbike as a teenager.

ShooTa

Oct 9, 2014
N Wales
this is why yuou always leave your route plan and timings - along with some known contact times -if your out for a week then a daily contact "i am ok" should be setup - if your in the wilderness (not that we have much here in the UK - then one of those gps beacon things that everyone seems to be buying is wise. This combined with not going solo

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
A remarkable story of survival to be sure and my wife was in the process of giving me a hard time prior to this weekends solo trip when she found a news article about another recently injured hiker who cheated death, Miyuki Harwood. Nine days, two broken legs with only a hikers day-pack and is sixty-two years old.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE