thinking about getting a gas stove.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

patrols

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2011
cornwall
It all depends on what you want the stove for, I have a couple of gas stoves one is a jetboil stove which is brilliant for a quick brew or for boil in the bag rations, it uses minimal water has a quick boil time and and leaves you with no washing up!!
the downside is its quite a tall stove so you have to watch the stability of it.
The other one is an MSR stove with a remote canister which is good in winter as you can keep the gas warm for better burning as cold gas even a butaine propane mix will not burn well and pure propane is expensive it cooks really well and is good for using a metal mug on as it has good pot support legs.
If i was only to have one stove it would be the MSR stove as its more versitile, this one is on the MSR website if you want a picture of it.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I'm going gas for the TGO Challenge next year, I was thinking of taking my Bushbuddy and backing it up with a meths stove. Over 14 days I reckon the Jetboil Sol will see me good on two 100g carts, that's 24L. Gram for gram over a longer trip gas wins every time compared to meths, if only there was guaranteed dry wood in the Highlands :)

Rich, on the Sol tests I did recently, I was averaging 5-6g of gas used per 500ml boil of cold tap water in no-wind, room temperature conditions, using Optimus tri-mix gas.. That'll give you about 8-9 litres per 100g cartridge on a good day. Still miles ahead of anything else out there, but a bit short on your numbers. Just something to consider if you are working out boils for your trip. To be on the safe side, I think I'd work on getting 16 x half litre boils per can. That'll give you a litre a day with room on 2 cans. I like me brews though, I think I'd be working on 1.5 litres a day and take 3 cans.- or maybe one of the 230g cans (weighs 380g), which would give you at least 38 x 500ml boils.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
To the OP... If you are using a whitebox or clone then watch out for the cold. I tried a proper WBS at about +5C and due to the thicker walls of the Al bottle based stoves it needed priming. There are videos of comparisons between the WBS and other stoves on YT and one of them shows them sat in a tray of cold water to simulate colder conditions I guess. The WBS worked very well normally against the other commercial meths burners (including can types from AGG) but when they had the cold water taking heat from it the burner took triple the time at least to boil. I have had to give up on it at that +5C trip. Gave up and switched to my old style primus micron (the one with the gauze centre section on the burner). It worked well as it always does. I have used it closer to 0C before now perhaps even sub-zero and it never seemed to take much longer than in spring or summer. I get 7 days used in summer out of a primus 100g can. IIRC that is at least a bi- mix possibly a tri- mix. Anyway I would recommend a Primus gas canister too. Never tried Crux/optimus cans nor the similar MSR tri- mix but reckon it is right up there with those brands.

BTW it is not correct to say you can turn the cans over with a remote canister stove to burn liquid. The liquid still has to evaporate and vaporise into gas. The pre-heater tube should do this but might not in serious cold. However there are some remote can gas stoves that CAN burn liquid, these are not common. One of the best I think is the Coleman Fyrestorm. It comes with a can holder that holds it inverted. I once read somewhere than using an inverted can with a remote can stove that isn't designed for it can damage the stove I think.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
How do the Jetboil stoves compare to the PRimus stove with the similar design?? I once saw the primus one at 20% off and was tempted.

The eta packlite is supposed to be a really good little stove particularly if cold and group or proper cooking.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
How do the Jetboil stoves compare to the PRimus stove with the similar design?? I once saw the primus one at 20% off and was tempted.

The eta packlite is supposed to be a really good little stove particularly if cold and group or proper cooking.

Jetboil were originally made by Primus I think, they are pretty much identical except for the way the stove and pot lock together. Most who have tried them both, seem to prefer the locking mechanism on the jetboil. There is also a difference with the hanging device, but that is minor and doesnt apply to most people. Aside from that, they are pretty much the same stove. I think Jetboil even tried to sue Primus over it. The other thing to consider is accessories and such. There is a huge range of accessories for the Jetboil - titanium pots, massive pots, coffee presses etc, not so much for the Primus. I think the Primus is a little more expensive out of the box, but a 20% discount may give it the edge - though you do see Jetboils popping up on ebay for around £45. Be aware, the new Sol is lighter, but also smaller, the pot is 750ml compared to 1 litre on the classic.

jetboil002.jpg

jetboil001.jpg

jetboil000.jpg

All parts are interchangeable between the Sol and Classic.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Rich, on the Sol tests I did recently, I was averaging 5-6g of gas used per 500ml boil of cold tap water in no-wind, room temperature conditions, using Optimus tri-mix gas.. That'll give you about 8-9 litres per 100g cartridge on a good day. Still miles ahead of anything else out there, but a bit short on your numbers. Just something to consider if you are working out boils for your trip. To be on the safe side, I think I'd work on getting 16 x half litre boils per can. That'll give you a litre a day with room on 2 cans. I like me brews though, I think I'd be working on 1.5 litres a day and take 3 cans.- or maybe one of the 230g cans (weighs 380g), which would give you at least 38 x 500ml boils.

Thanks for that mate, I'm looking to get my Sol at the end of the month so I can get some testing in too.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Thanks for that mate, I'm looking to get my Sol at the end of the month so I can get some testing in too.

I dunno if you've settled on the Sol, but before you buy you should know it's not quite as user-friendly as the Classic. Small things mainly, but they can add up. The shorter pot means that you have to completely disassemble the Sol to get it to store inside the pot, whereas the gas + stove connected, can be just dropped inside the Classic, making it super convenient. The Sol has thinner insulation, which makes it harder to handle when hot and definitely harder to do a "holding boil". It's doable but I ended up doing a finger-dance when trying it - gloves recommended if you find that aspect of the jetboil useful. Also the jetboil tends to spit when it boils, due to the tall, thin pot. Not a big problem on the classic, but the shorter pot on the Sol can see boiling water spitting all over if you fill it up and then take the lid off before turning the gas off. Again, you can work round it with a bit of forethought. Small issues, but the "experience" of the Sol is one of some user friendliness being sacrificed over the Classic, in the interests of shaving 115g off the overall weight. The actual burner on the Sol is much better than the classic though. I dont know how they have done it, but it's nearly twice as fast as the classic and it's regulated too, so no loss of horsepower over the life of a cannister. The burner itself is where they've made the biggest weight saving, with the Sol being 68g lighter than the classic - mostly by losing plastic from what I can tell...

jetboil003.jpg

...in fact the actual weight saving by having a 750ml cup instead of a 1 litre cup is only 28g...

jetboil007.jpg

and they have only saved 8g by having a thinner pot cozy...

jetboil004.jpg

IMO, the Sol burner with the Classic pot, Sol lid, Sol base and classic pot cozy is the best of both worlds - same functionality as the classic, about 80g lighter, more powerful and more efficient - pitty they dont sell em like that - but I guess there wouldn't be enough of a difference to stimulate people into buying a Sol then. On the plus side, all the parts are interchangeable, so such a hybrid can be created by just getting a 1 litre classic or flash companion cup if the Sol proves too much of a compromise in use. I've seen companion cups go for a tenner. In fact if I were a betting man, I'd say the Jetboil flash will eventually be phased out as a standalone cooker, but they will keep the 1 litre cup as an addon to the Sol which will become the primary burner unit for the range.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
More good info, thanks Martyn

It'll be my first gas stove and being a bit of a gram weenie it has to be the smallest/lightest I can get :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

It'll be my first gas stove and being a bit of a gram weenie it has to be the smallest/lightest I can get :)

Also remember that the Primus and JB's are fixed upright stoves and loose out in cold weather due to not being able to flip the gas can over to help boost output. The ETA seems to win according to google but doubt there is much in it. Give serious thought to a 'remote' canister stove and one of the thermal pots discussed earlier, you'll get better four season performance and save a few quid on top.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
But with the eta you lose that lock together ability. That is probably the single biggest reason to take the jetboil, if it wasn't for that, I'd use a crux. If you think about it, the reason backpackers are still willing to carry the classic trangia 27 in spite of it's weight and bulk, is because of it's inerrant stability and bad weather performance. If you are on the Cairngorms in bad weather, pinned under a gossamer thin one man tent or silnylon tarp with uneven ground and barely enough room to roll over, then stability (and convenience) is a big issue.

It's situations like this....

CHALLENGE%2008%20215.JPG

...where the jetboil wins friends.

Last edited:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com

The Sol is the one then. I know some people swap the lid for foil, but I think I would keep the lid and it helps keep everything together so you dont need a bag, it helps keep your food/brew warm and it's a lip protector if you are using the pot as your mug - worth it for 18g IMO. You can happily ditch the plastic cup on the base though, and the pot stand and the stabiliser and pot cozy if you are happy to hold the pot with gloved hands. That should get you down under 250g for pot, lid and stove. It's not quite hardcore ultralight territory, but it's close enough to be a contender, especially if you are mainly eating dehydrated and use the pot as your drinking mug. I'll be interested to know what you think and how you decide to pack/trim it when you get it at the end of the month Rich?

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
But with the eta you lose that lock together ability. That is probably the single biggest reason to take the jetboil, if it wasn't for that, I'd use a crux. If you think about it, the reason backpackers are still willing to carry the classic trangia 27 in spite of it's weight and bulk, is because of it's inerrant stability and bad weather performance. If you are on the Cairngorms in bad weather, pinned under a gossamer thin one man tent or silnylon tarp with uneven ground and barely enough room to roll over, then stability (and convenience) is a big issue.

The instability issue is one reason why I'd never use the JB, Express, noodle boilers et al if still hiking. Nice wide legged remote bottle stove like the little gassie linked earlier or an Omnifuel or Nova for me...if I didn't have a Trangia to hand;) Or an Omni in a Trangia :) or even a humble No8 :cool: or a 99 :approve:

Twin burner Coleman 413G next trip :)

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
The instability issue is one reason why I'd never use the JB, Express, noodle boilers et al if still hiking. Nice wide legged remote bottle stove like the little gassie linked earlier or an Omnifuel or Nova for me...if I didn't have a Trangia to hand;) Or an Omni in a Trangia :) or even a humble No8 :cool: or a 99 :approve:

Twin burner Coleman 413G next trip :)

I wouldn't use anything that required priming inside a one man tent and I certainly wouldn't want to carry it for 2 weeks in a rucksack, but each to his own.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have a remote stoves Rik, fair enough they're multi fuel but I want a compact gas burner for just boiling water for brews and dehydrated meals, the Jetboil looks to tick all the boxes for me.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
True, but the jetboil is cheaper, lighter, more stable, easier to use, more convenient, faster and more fuel efficient, which is probably why so many hikers who go on the TGO challenge use them.

How is a jetboil more stable? More convenient? turn on and cook, don't know about fuel, depends on the pot used as will speed. Easier to use? turn up it boils, turn down it simmers lol. JB and ETA are great if you just want a brew or heat water but neither are a serious cooker for proper food so good for the youngsters or gramme weanies but no cop for a weekend away really IMHO, can't exactly cook 3kg of Ox Tail stew or curry for eight on them; but if they float your boat then go for them.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
How is a jetboil more stable? More convenient? turn on and cook, don't know about fuel, depends on the pot used as will speed. Easier to use? turn up it boils, turn down it simmers lol. JB and ETA are great if you just want a brew or heat water but neither are a serious cooker for proper food so good for the youngsters or gramme weanies but no cop for a weekend away really IMHO, can't exactly cook 3kg of Ox Tail stew or curry for eight on them; but if they float your boat then go for them.

Absolute codswallop Rik, and vintage at that :)

I thought we were discussing the merits of the Jetboil for being compact, light and fast at boiling water. Nobody's mentioned spit roasting a pig or cooking a four course sunday roast.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I think you're wasting your breath Rich, he's missing the point on purpose I think. Just because you would use a saucepan to make soup, doesnt mean you would bin your electric kettle. As a collector of old stoves, Rik is contractually obligated to hate the jetboil on principle. :D

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE