thinking about getting a gas stove.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
iv got several alcohol stoves, hexi stoves and wood burners.
i mainly use my crusader cook kit with green heet jell or my little alcohol stove, but iv noticed in this weather Im using twice the amount of fuel and waiting twice as long for my water to boil for a brew.
So im thinking about using gas for the winter but iv never had one befor and not sure what I should be getting.
whats everyones opinion on gas stoves?
if I deside to get one is there any good recommendation on what to buy?(pics or links would be helpful please)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Gas isn't great in the cold. The cheap cartridge stoves you can buy are generally butane and they get colder with use. Propane is a little better.

Basic thermodynamics dictates you'll use more fuel in the winter as everything is colder thus needs more heat

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Not sure of the crusader cook kit myself but is there any way of making your current set up more efficient with the gel or Alcohol?

How much fuel do you use for a boil up?

Steve.

Donny732

Nov 25, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Get gas with isobutane, propane and butane mix, works much better in the cold.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OT-4A-for...533?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c1b14a2dd

I use an MSR pocket rocket with 80/20 isobutane/propane mix cartridges and I had problems in January in weather about -15 Celcius with little or no wind. The flame would flare instead of burn for a few seconds and then go out. I'm still a big fan of the pocket rocket and gas, but for serious winter hikes, I'm back to hexi tabs and an issued stove.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I use an MSR pocket rocket with 80/20 isobutane/propane mix cartridges and I had problems in January in weather about -15 Celcius with little or no wind. The flame would flare instead of burn for a few seconds and then go out. I'm still a big fan of the pocket rocket and gas, but for serious winter hikes, I'm back to hexi tabs and an issued stove.

80/20 is a dual mix, the gas Rik mentions is a tri-mix ....isobutane, propane and butane. They definitely do work better in cold. The green Optimus cannisters are tri-mix if you can find them.

Additionally, the use of a stove with remote cannister, allows the cannister to be turned upside down, which pushes liquid fuel through the line and stops freeze-ups, especially if the stove also has a pre-heater, like the one Rik linked to. Tri-mix gas, inverted remote cannisters and stoves with pre-heaters, are the solution to using gas stoves in Arctic conditions.

Last edited:

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Not sure of the crusader cook kit myself but is there any way of making your current set up more efficient with the gel or Alcohol?

How much fuel do you use for a boil up?

Steve.

about 2 sachets of gel for one cup of tea this is still not rolling boil, for my little alcohol stove I have to set it off twice to get rolling boil, but with that said I do gain better burn time with hexi block.
I was wondering if gas would do a getter job :)

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
i don't know if this will be any use to you but the bushcraft store e mailed me yesterday about a batch of british army no.12 diesel stoves that they have unused in the box ! the price seems a lot at £ 129.95 but then i know nothing about that kind of kit !
hope ive helped ?

cheers andrew.

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
I'm using a Pocket Rocket and tri-mix gas now that winter's here and making a stick-fire's a ball-ache in the dark -especially when it's wet and windy. The EvernewDX will come back out in the Spring, as I like to mix it up between twig-fired cooking and my RedBull penny-stove when it's less inclement.

Gas is convenient, but I'll miss the ritual of processing sticks and tinder or priming a myths-burner. Still, I can't argue with getting a brew made so quickly when it's cold and wet in the woods.

And I'll only use hexies only in emergencies (always carry a couple in my cook-kit). I don't like the gunk and the smell.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
i don't know if this will be any use to you but the bushcraft store e mailed me yesterday about a batch of british army no.12 diesel stoves that they have unused in the box ! the price seems a lot at £ 129.95 but then i know nothing about that kind of kit !
hope ive helped ?

cheers andrew.

Actually, that looks like a really good buy. I have one of the British Army no 2 Mk 2 modified stoves that most hate, but I find it absolutely brilliant - only runs on petrol though. The No 12 is a true multi-fuel piece of kit (even diesel) that most stovies - and I believe Rik is one of these - really like. But a seriously industrial piece of kit - not for the ultralight brigade though (I'd go so far as to suggest not for those with small cars either!)

ps - if you really need your gas stove to work in sub-zero temps, an emergency measure is to put the gas cylinder in a bowl, then urinate into the bowl - warms the gas up nicely! (works best with remote cylinder though, as otherwise you could end up "flavouring" your cooking......)

Last edited:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Actually, that looks like a really good buy. I have one of the British Army no 2 Mk 2 modified stoves that most hate, but I find it absolutely brilliant - only runs on petrol though. The No 12 is a true multi-fuel piece of kit (even diesel) that most stovies - and I believe Rik is one of these - really like. But a seriously industrial piece of kit - not for the ultralight brigade though (I'd go so far as to suggest not for those with small cars either!)

I think I bought the last one. :D

I've been after one for years but any in good condition always seem to go for silly money - though I've seen a couple recently at better prices. This being a never been lit model caught me though and I finally pulled the trigger. According to the NSN and the box, it was made in 2000, so it's been sitting on a shelf for almost 12 years. There was no sign that it had ever been lit before. The pump leather is in good condition - perfect actually, but the filler cap needs a new seal, you have to tighten it stupidly tight to keep pressure in the tank. Aside from that, I'm chuffed, it's blemish free and pretty much BNIB.

The burner might need a bit of a fettle though, the flame pattern has a bit of a bias toward the front and is a bit yellow, though that just could be 12 years of gunge and crud working through it - it might just need a few burns to bed in. The valve shuts off fully with no leaks even under very high pressure and the pricker needle seems to work as advertised. It is loud though - and I mean LOUD - as in you need to move away from the stove to hold a conversation at normal volume. Not one for stealth campers. It's heavy too - dunno the exact weight but it caused an Err message on my postal scales which max out at 5kg. It's a tank of a stove for sure.

Here it is on it's first run...

[video=youtube;0VBTeIO6HWc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VBTeIO6HWc[/video]

All in all though, not bad for it's first run after 12 years in storage. It's certainly not a backpacking stove though.

Last edited:

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
Get gas with isobutane, propane and butane mix, works much better in the cold.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OT-4A-for...533?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c1b14a2dd
I too am sorely tempted by that EBay link, but would like a positive confirmation from somebody who's seen one in the flesh and who knows what they're talking about that it's a good 'un and not just a piece of cheap Chinese junk. The words of the sales page "...Photos are for reference only. All bias [sic] based on the actual product." worry me somewhat.

Peter

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've had a few things off that site, the stoves are well put together. The only thing I don't trust on any stove or lantern regardless of who makes it is the pizo ignition.

rb1985

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 26, 2010
newcastle
i have had one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camping-m...gSupplies_ET&hash=item1c1b1992be#ht_502wt_952 for about a month now and put nearly a full 240g gas can though it and it has worked faultlessly, i use it with a optimus terra weekend pot set (which it fits inside with a 240g gas can, fire steel, folding spork, some 3in1 coffee and a cleaning sponge) but think it would be more efficient with a bigger pan as the flame spread is quite wide. my only concern with the stove is the fuel line as it doesn't seem very robust, but as i only paid £11 delivered it is almost a disposable item. i was pleasantly surprised by the stove and i think most people buying it will be more than happy with it, but for me the lack of faith in the fuel line means it will be getting replaced by a windpro 2. in my opinion for the price it would be worth buying two and keeping one as a spare for when the fuel line (or any other part) does break.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE