Things that go bump in the night

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grebo247365

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2007
Grimsby, Lincolnshire, GB.
I was wondering if anyone had a clue what I heard last night, I was orienteering round willingham woods lincolnshire last night about ten pm when I heard this weird animal call, it was very loud and I can only describe it as a screeching barking noise, repeated over and over again for 15 - 20 minutes.
It was not a fox as I am familiar with their calls, it was quite a deep booming call and I was a little disturbed by it to be honest, could it be a deer species making these noises?
Also I was lucky enough to bump into a sizable badger on its rounds, the first non roadkill one I have ever seen - YAY!

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
I'd agree it could be a munty'. I'd never came across them till I moved down south(Bucks).
Make a wierd noise, very unsettling first few times I heard when out and about on my own.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Possibly a vixen in heat.A really blood chilling sound.The first time I heard it I thought about going home but didn't want to bump into it on the way . I'm a bit wiser now I know what it was.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
classic! time and time again people here this, it could be one of the places the werewolf idea came from! I would say almost certainly muntjak!

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
Possibly a vixen in heat.A really blood chilling sound.The first time I heard it I thought about going home but didn't want to bump into it on the way . I'm a bit wiser now I know what it was.

Been and gone that time of the year. She'll be busy raising cubs at the moment.
Vulpes Vulpes come into season about Christmas time, that's when you here the dog and the vixen calling to each other.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Equally could be a roe buck. Had one barking alarm last night. I can imitate (but not on a forum :))

Hunting barn owl alternatively?

Red

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
Sounds similar to what I heard a couple of weekends ago. It was dark and late, and I was hammocking solo near Arnside in Cumbria. Bit of an atmospheric spot. Woken by this... er... shriek/ bark/ growl /constipated banshee/ gnu on heat about ten feet from my head. It carried on for a couple of minutes then came back later for another go. No idea what it was and it didn't half give me a fright. I reckon now it was either a muntjac or a chinese water deer. Stayed in the same spot the next night with my camera to hand, but no joy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE