They're here !!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nettles150390

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
High Melton, Doncaster
Ive seen these before or rather something like then, (they were better ill try and find the video) and to be fair the only reason i would ever want one of these is for the novelty value.

and what was all that c**p he was saying about hammocks only being good for a few hours.

ETA:

never mind they were tentsile just a newer version

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I'd like to read an honest review of them, you'd be more likely to find me in one of those than spending a night on a "portaledge"!

I know they have their place for you big wall guys, but even the one I tried out just for fun certainly put the Heebee-gee bees up me and that was only at low level, not half way up El Cap or the like.

The Tentsile Stingray got dropped off. I took it to work and spread it out on the workshop floor to inspect the stitching, webbing and seams. All checks out fine and to a very good standard. I should be able to put it up tomorrow but will not be able to spend the night due to family commitments.

I will take some photographs and share my initial findings and thoughts. The next stage is to spend a couple or more of nights out to give it a fair test. Hopefully this should highlight any good and bad points.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
The Tentsile Stingray got dropped off. I took it to work and spread it out on the workshop floor to inspect the stitching, webbing and seams. All checks out fine and to a very good standard. I should be able to put it up tomorrow but will not be able to spend the night due to family commitments.

I will take some photographs and share my initial findings and thoughts. The next stage is to spend a couple or more of nights out to give it a fair test. Hopefully this should highlight any good and bad points.

I'd be interested to see what you make of it, mate! Hell... I'd be interested to try it out!

You wouldn't need a full underquilt, though! Really you just want to keep the cold air from moving underneath (even a length of light-weight parachute material would do that... wrapped around the underside). Also, with three people in there... the combined body heat would most likely make the space quite comfortable in the colder months. Besides, sleeping bag with a Thermarest underneath you...

The video explains that there's strapping inside the material to which the ratchet straps connect. I would imagine they'd have used a very adequate gauge of strapping. Yes, I can see people over-tensioning this, and using it on unsuitable trees... but it's only a poor carpenter who blames his tools!

Far as I'm concerned, if there's a family (or a group of friends) who want to enjoy the great outdoors without the hassle of trying to find a patch of perfectly flat ground large enough for a family-sized tent... this is an novel solution!
For individual bushcrafters who want to go it alone... well, this isn't for you, is it?

Sure, criticizing stuff is amusing, but coming up with hypothetical problems and stating all of the scenarios in which this isn't useful... that's just silly imho.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE