Thermos Flask that is thin like an army waterbottle?

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I am after a new Thermos flask to take on the train when I have to go off to London on the train. I have one of the smaller ones but that still takes up quite a lot of space in my bag. I have used the insulated coffee cup type, that are so popular in the US, but have found that they leak if left on their side.

Has anyone got, seen or heard of a thermos type flask that is wide & thin, like an army water bottle or a larger hip flask. Something the same shape as a US airman's water bottle would be good. Thanks

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
If it's just for the train, then I assume it doesn't have to keep the drink warm for long. How about a SIGG swiss army hip flask, with a bit of neoprene around it?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've tried the BCB army flask and was not impressed. Half litre Thermos 'Thermax' is just about the most efficient flask going.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Thanks for the replies. It is for use on the train & I usually drink my tea straight after I have settled down so it does not need to keep the tea hot for long, say 30 mins max. I have a smallish shoulder bag that is just the right size for the laptop, brolly & the other bits I carry, but I find that if I put my small flask in (which is 2.5" in diamiter), then it kust takes up too much room. Ideally an insulated .5 litre hip flask anout an inch thick would be perfect. I will have to look into your suggestions some more, as the US Artic ome on the bay looks good but is probably too big. I have tried several of the mug type ones & found they all leaked, which is not good news next to an expensive laptop. We may have a winner with the SIGG Hip flask though, I will have to see if I can find a shop that I can have a look at one in. That would also be usefull for other stronger liquids from time to time... ;0)

ph5172

Forager
Feb 13, 2010
Coventry
This is what you need.

http://www.lifeventure.co.uk/htm/cookware/thermal-mug.html

I use mine all the time (its not made by lifeventure but exactly the same). You can put drinks in with no need to pre warm the 'mug' and as long as the lid is on it stays drinkable for about 3 hours.
You can throw it around and as long as the lid is on properly its safe as houses.

You can put soup or stew in in the winter, and they are 'unbreakable'
ATB
PH

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Vote for the lifeventure/highlander/aladdin/BCB thermal mug, they are good but you must strip the internals regular to keep the rubber seals clean otherwise they get sticky and the mug will leak.( hot fluids expand)
They are big enough for a regular latte at mcdonalds and keep coffee piping hot for a good 30+mins. great VFM IMO

http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/index.php?method=stock&id=10000&from=

and they come in 'missus friendly' shade which might get you a smile next time you get pinged smuggling shiny new Or duplicate kit in ;)

http://www.rvops.co.uk/pink-thermal-mug-1705.html

Last edited:

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Interesting point about washing the seals, as that is probably where I went wrong with the ones I have had in the past. I may give one of those LifeVenture mugs as they do look compact, although I do like the idea of that SIGG & they do a neoprene jacket for it as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE