thermos aka vacuum flask cooking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
has any-one got any experience with cooking by thermos flasks...??

the main use would be for making ye meal in ye flask in the morning while cooking breakfast so the meal would be ready for when camp setup in the evening

what foods work best

recipes work best

using dehydrated foods

any and all tips and tricks

i get that warming ye flask up first like one [1] does with regular flasks would be beneficial

and rather than throw away the hot water that warms ye flask it could be used to make a brew and or wash up ye breakfast things

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
Look up Backpacking Chef Glen.
His web site has many meals cooked this way.
He also has all kinds of dehydrating tips.
I believe he has a print cook book and some utube stuff.
You can also sign up for a monthly news letter.
Jon

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm faintly surprised with the value of urgent meals. Off with the top, gobble gobble, done. Please explain why the rush. To me, camping means primarily slowing down. Look at the environment and really "see." it. Listen to it. Listen carefully.

I think that this was one of the primary drivers to moving out of a smelly city to be a country mouse. The stoves themselves are a part of the game, so is a camp fire. Rare where you live, daily here unless there's a ban.

One of these years, I'll frame up a 20' shelter of freight pallets and cover those with a couple layers of builders tarps then pray for snow and lots of it. One place in the back yard drifts 6' deep, ought to be fine. 117VAC power line until I get my act together.

Local snowmobiler crowd always go prepared. Here, they got stuck up top after dark (our winter days are quite short). So they dug sideways into a killer tree hole, built a fire, lots of food and drink (those local guys are so typical here) and hunkered down for the night. They were just a few thousand feet above the village so they checked in and no one got their knickers in a twist. This would be such fun. Eat and drink for hours.

Attachments

• Overnight II.jpg
    Overnight II.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: billycoen

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
Please explain why the rush.
its not a rush as ye flask re-hydrates and cook ye food as one [1] trek between camps

it is being called being prepared

say one is pushing themselves to ye limit or there has been a very hard trek or some circumstance cause and one [1] to in camp late say nine [9] or ten [10] at night and have to wait an hour or more for ye food to re-hydrate and then cook said food yet one [1] is too physically tired to cook for themselves

would you rather they fall asleep hungry and tired which can be harmful to the body or they have a heart meal that is beneficial for their health

Reactions: Robson Valley

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
A food thermos flask (wider and shorter than a normal flask and with a wider mouth) would probably be best for this. They don’t hold the temperature for as long as their ”normal” flask equivalents, but plenty good enough for what you want. Make sure you get one that does not leak! :)

A couple of hours to half a day of soaking time is usually plenty. (Unless you go down the cold water soak route, like some lightweight hikers do, then you need to soak it for longer.) No need to carry all that extra weight all day! The added weight is probably the main concern with this method, in addition to food safety of course. The longer you leave the food soaking and the lower the temperature it reaches by the time you get around to eating it, the more important food hygiene becomes. Do make sure you clean the thermo flask properly after each meal.

If you have a search for ”freezer bag cooking” you’ll find loads of recipes for how to make your own dehydrated meals that are suitable for your type of cooking too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE