Thermarest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth
Snow in a month or twos time, I hope so! So its time to start training with full loaded winter kit...yippee!

Anyways, to the point. I am going up the mountains this weekend, and I am bringing my thermarest. Being Northern Ireland, it will almost definitely pour with rain, so the question is, can thermarests get wet!?

Such a long wind up to such a short question, oh well...lol

Cheers all,

Survivor

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Anyways, to the point. I am going up the mountains this weekend, and I am bringing my thermarest. Being Northern Ireland, it will almost definitely pour with rain, so the question is, can thermarests get wet!?

Short answer is yes if your tent or bivy bag leaks.

Will this matter to the thermarest, if it's a ccf then yes as it can absorb water. If it's a self inflating then no as it''ll be waterproof.

More important question is will your sleeping bag get wet if you're worried about your thermarest getting wet.

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth

Will this matter to the thermarest, if it's a ccf then yes as it can absorb water. If it's a self inflating then no as it''ll be waterproof.

More important question is will your sleeping bag get wet if you're worried about your thermarest getting wet.

My sleeping bag will be in my bivvy bag, so hopefully it will not get wet.

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
its important to keep the inside of your thermarest dry.
what I do is after an outing, I leave my thermarest inflated and valve open in a dry place, valve pointing downward.
this way if there is any water inside, it will drain out.
I've had my thermarest for over 20 years, without problems.

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth
Ok, thanks for the tips and advice everyone, fraid getting a new thermarest is a bit over my budget ADz-1983, my goodnes, I am a student:lmao:!

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire

Closed cell foam is just that. The bubbles are sealed, if it was open, it would collapse beneath you like a sponge, and water would be the least of your worries.

Closed cell foam may get water on the surface but it won't soak it in. If you soak it in a bath and take it out and give it a shake, (outside, if you want to keep on good terms with other people in the house) it won't weigh any more once the surface water has gone.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
its important to keep the inside of your thermarest dry.
what I do is after an outing, I leave my thermarest inflated and valve open in a dry place, valve pointing downward.
this way if there is any water inside, it will drain out.
I've had my thermarest for over 20 years, without problems.

I leave (or did when I used them) with the valve open and pointing up to allow moisture to evaporate. Unside down moisture will be retained to some degree or other.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
All my thermarests I keep rolled up in there bag, I know I shouldn't but have never had any problems, oldest one is 14 years old now

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The likes of the Thermarest Ridgerest is CCF as said it would have no support otherwise, however the self-inflating ones are open cell with an air/water tight cover. They have to be open cell to allow the ingress/egress of air, which is than sealed with a valve. And yup Rik's right, Cascade recommend storing them upright to allow any water vapour to evaporate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE