Thermarest help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
I used to have a Thermarest copy but it was rubbish and heavy so I binned it, since then I have been using the standard foam mattress but have decided to give inflatable mats another try. Can anyone suggest some good ones? Cotswold have some very cheap mountain equipment ones going at the moment...

ATB,

Will

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
I know someone who got an ME one from there earlier this year and says it is great, bit vivid but after all you are asleep, right? :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been using the NeoAir short for ground dwelling this year, really comfy, stupidly light and packs down to the size of a can of John Smiths

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Interested in the difference between foam ones and self inflating insulation wise?

You need to look at the R value rating for that kind of info. A few examples I know of ..

TAR NeoAir - 2.5
TAR ProLite - 2.2
PO Elite AC - 4.4
NATO closed-cell - 5 (I think)
Exped Downmat 7 - 5.9
TAR Basecamp - 6.6

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I like therm-a-rest mats... they are expensive but if anything goes wrong, they don't mess you about they just replace your mat.

I have a few trail ones and 2 dreamtime xl ones for winter when there's a short walk-in. The dreamtime ones are a bit huge but I love 'em... the trail ones are very good but they are very easy to slide off during the night.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
I'm very pleased with my Exped 7 mat, I've spent at least 4 nights a week on it (in my van) for a few months now, best sleep I've had since living on a boat.
Previous to that I had a multimat inflatable which wasn't comfortable or lightweight, and it's twice the pack size of an exped.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Whilst I've tried closed cell foam, thermarests and the Exped mats (Both Syn and Down), all have their merits but I've been using the Exped 7 for two winters now and it suits me fine. Not exactly small or lightweight, but warm and comfortable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE