theoben air rifle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
This is probably a long shot(ha)but does anyone shoot a theoben s type,just interested in what your opinions are.
Soloman.

camokid

Forager
Mar 3, 2009
coventry
there good mate very handy tool for hunting there a nice fit as well. you thinking of getting one. i shoot myself cant beat free food

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
Not shot one but not heard many people having negative opinions of Theoben stuff in general. www.airgunbbs.com would be a good place to ask opinions or looks for reviews.
Ditto on the free food, got a Mk1 BSA Super Ten in .22 (thats the only downside!) and she don't miss :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
My mate had one for a while. He bought it when i bought my MFR. They are OK but not more than that, and for the £900 price tag you really can get a much better rifle.

They are heavy and unbalanced especially with the big bottle on it. Accuracy is good but then, it is on any decent rifle. They are robust enough though. Tend to leak air from the valve and o rings.

The only Theoben rifle that i have liked (had 5) is the Fenman but they don't make em anymore. The Evoloution is good and that is my next buy.

For that price i'd get something like an AirArms S410k , charging kit and a good £300 ish scope. Much better rifle though you get less shots per charge but its lighter easier to shoot the mag aint as fiddly and it is more accurate/consistent.

Weirauch HW100 is good too

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I have owned many air rifles over the years and Theoben are IMO the best hunting gun you can buy.
Your paying a lot for the S type, I still rate the Mk1 rapid range as they are so easy to service yourself and you can pick up a good second hand one for a fair price these days
I own a couple of Theobens now and a couple of AA's inc. a Rapid 7 and a S410,
the S410is a good wee gun but the Rapid is in a different league.
I'd take a second hand rapid over a new S410 any day.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I have owned many air rifles over the years and Theoben are IMO the best hunting gun you can buy.
Your paying a lot for the S type, I still rate the Mk1 rapid range as they are so easy to service yourself and you can pick up a good second hand one for a fair price these days
I own a couple of Theobens now and a couple of AA's inc. a Rapid 7 and a S410,
the S410is a good wee gun but the Rapid is in a different league.
I'd take a second hand rapid over a new S410 any day.

I suppose it's each to their own. The build quality and blueing of Theobens are better than AA, and the mk1 rapid i do rate as a good rifle having had one for 3 years. It was 8 years old when i bought it and was IMO much superior to the s Type. I never shot a mk2 though.

I just never got on with the S type. It may have been the stupid big bottle my mate chose which made it wayyyyy too front heavy. Good for the bipod though.

The reason i would take a 410k, i was 1 hole grouping at 40 yards in .22 at 10.2 ftlbs. I never knew the power was so low til i got a chrono. I never changed it though, it dropped what i aimed it at so it did for me.

I just couldn't get the same grouping with any Theoben barring the mk1. Tried at least 10 different brands of pellets.

These days i leave prechargeds alone. Gas ram and springer for me. I like the life in em. They are more satisfying to shoot and less to go wrong.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I still shoot PCP's, gas rams and springers but my current project is a simple HW77k, it's nice to get back to basics every so often..

camokid

Forager
Mar 3, 2009
coventry
if your looking for a gun for around the price of a theoben why not go for a airwolf daystate i own one and over the years iv had a lot of guns and the airwolf is far better than anything iv shot its a little bit more than the theoben but its a gun for life.

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
Weirauch HW100 is good too

Can vouch for this, shot one at the club last year (carbine) and fell in love! Lad chopped it in for an airwolf but I liked the wine-rack better in all honesty, very well built, can't double cock it and just does exactly what it's meant to do. I'm quite glad I've not got the money to throw at a new rifle, I don't have to make such hard decisions :)

camokid

Forager
Mar 3, 2009
coventry
never shot one mate dont no much about them sorry ! iv allways had 22 but i got the airwolf in 177 im not going into 177/22 but i would go for a 177 all the time now i found it more accurate and better at distance shots its still as hard hitting i shot 25 rats last nit now that was fun.

V8Mondo

Feb 21, 2009
Ely
I shoot HFT and also vermin species on my permission - some general info for you...

.20 (5mm) is a very good pellet size for hunting if you are using an FAC powered rifle.

For sub-12ftIb rifles for hunting, then .177 (4.5mm) is the one to go for as it has a flatter trajectory and still has enough energy at 35-40 yds to take out a rabbit as long as you can make between 15 - 20mm groupings at 35 yds to make a clean kill.

.22 (5.5mm) is a good pellet for closer quarry such as rats that you would normally bait and wait for. Hard hitting but for longer shots it has a more loopy trajectory so you would need to be quite a good shot for anything over say 20-25 yds to ensure a clean kill.

You get a far better range of pellets for a .177 too.
You get a good range in .22 as well, but they are also more expensive and of course, heavier.

Try AirArms Diablo Fields or JSB Exacts for a very good quality and accurate pellets.

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Thanks v8,many moons ago i was one of the founding members of the dunfermline air gun club and realy enjoyed my time there.
I have a bit of ground to hunt on close to me with my tx200 in .22.
Im nearly sure that the daystate air ranger in .177 is just the ticket,wife has even agreed to pay for it result or what.
Might even try a bit of hft,its looks cool.
Soloman.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I shoot HFT and also vermin species on my permission - some general info for you...

.20 (5mm) is a very good pellet size for hunting if you are using an FAC powered rifle.

For sub-12ftIb rifles for hunting, then .177 (4.5mm) is the one to go for as it has a flatter trajectory and still has enough energy at 35-40 yds to take out a rabbit as long as you can make between 15 - 20mm groupings at 35 yds to make a clean kill.

.22 (5.5mm) is a good pellet for closer quarry such as rats that you would normally bait and wait for. Hard hitting but for longer shots it has a more loopy trajectory so you would need to be quite a good shot for anything over say 20-25 yds to ensure a clean kill.

You get a far better range of pellets for a .177 too.
You get a good range in .22 as well, but they are also more expensive and of course, heavier.

Try AirArms Diablo Fields or JSB Exacts for a very good quality and accurate pellets.

I have shot all the calibre's barring .25 in non FAC rifles. I would generally agree with all said above.

Just a couple of slight differences of opinion.

.177, best for target shooting, easier to shoot at longer ranges, penetrates feathers better than the others. More susceptible to wind though and at close range will over penetrate and not knock the target flat. I have shot rabbits at 15 yard clean head shots, only for the pellet to pass straight through and the rabbit run 100 yards before it knew it was dead. Not good if it gets to its burrow.Less shots per charge on pcps and a harsher shot on springers due to more force needed and decreased efficiency.

.20 IMO the most versatile of all. Choose light weight pellets and you have similar to .177 with a bit more knock down power. Go heavy weight and you have a .22 comparison.

.22. Exellent knock down ability, less wind shift, harder to shoot at long distance to start with but if your range estimation is good and you have used your combo a lot on the range then it is not really an issue. My calibre of choice. Pellets are less fiddly too which is a huge plus with cold hands..Takes down fur better. Easiest springer to shoot, more shots in pcp

All in all there is no better calibre despite what you may hear. Only different peoples opinions of the same calibres. Its all preference. All will do the job they just require different approaches. IMO .177 is better for beginners requiring less skill in the shot and range estimation. .22 will flatten anything you hit, if you can hit it. Though these days there are scopes with aiming marks on the reticule for different ranges with a .22, called MAP (multi aim point) scopes

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
This morning i bought a new daystate air ranger rifle.
Wallet will be reeling for a while or rather my wifes will but your only nearly young once,rabbits beware.
Cant afford a bottle until payday but local gunshop cool for recharge.
Soloman.

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Should be at the price mate.
But had a close look at one and what a bit of kit.
I remember when a venom tuned 77 was the dogs.
But that was the 80s.
Soloman.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
"I remember when a venom tuned 77 was the dogs."

Me to Soloman. I still have and use my trusty Feinwerkbau 124 Sport!

Hope you enjoyyour new rifle. I'm sorta glad you didn't go for a theoben. Despite once having a guided tour of the factory by Ben Taylor I've never rated them.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE