• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bee Outdoors

Aug 10, 2019
Manchester
I often share or promote people that are skilled and knowledgable, people with a passion to teach others but also people with a desire to learn. I class myself as an outdoorsman and a multi skilled crafter, not wanting to put a title to what I do so let’s just say I live to learn and push myself to be better than I was yesterday.
To me knowledge is the most valuable commodity I can have and one that no matter how much I share it will never devalue or dwindle.
I love the challenge skills give me but also understand that the more I explore different sets of skills the less skilled I become in a specific field. That is why I would always recommend people that are good in the field they practice and teach. I’m not willing to limit myself to one set of skills I’m good enough on a whole bunch of them but it’s mostly for my enjoyment and passion to be self sufficient.
I don’t compare myself to others or class my skill set better or less, skills have different value to each individual person and that should be respected no matter what skill set you have.
Be confident, willing to learn and be proud of what you achieved. No matter how good you think you are you will learn something new every day. Don’t be afraid to admit you don’t know but be willing to learn from others and appreciate the time people give you when they teaching you a set of skills you don’t know.
It’s not about how good we are it’s about how good we want to be, not for others but for ourselves.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Yup, a lovely message.

Personally, I believe that children are the future. We should teach them well and let them lead the way - show them all the beauty they posses inside. Give them a sense of pride to make it easier, let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I often share or promote people that are skilled and knowledgable, people with a passion to teach others but also people with a desire to learn. I class myself as an outdoorsman and a multi skilled crafter, not wanting to put a title to what I do so let’s just say I live to learn and push myself to be better than I was yesterday.
To me knowledge is the most valuable commodity I can have and one that no matter how much I share it will never devalue or dwindle.
I love the challenge skills give me but also understand that the more I explore different sets of skills the less skilled I become in a specific field. That is why I would always recommend people that are good in the field they practice and teach. I’m not willing to limit myself to one set of skills I’m good enough on a whole bunch of them but it’s mostly for my enjoyment and passion to be self sufficient.
I don’t compare myself to others or class my skill set better or less, skills have different value to each individual person and that should be respected no matter what skill set you have.
Be confident, willing to learn and be proud of what you achieved. No matter how good you think you are you will learn something new every day. Don’t be afraid to admit you don’t know but be willing to learn from others and appreciate the time people give you when they teaching you a set of skills you don’t know.
It’s not about how good we are it’s about how good we want to be, not for others but for ourselves.
You have summed up my thoughts exactly :)

Reactions: Bee Outdoors

Bee Outdoors

Aug 10, 2019
Manchester
Yup, a lovely message.

Personally, I believe that children are the future. We should teach them well and let them lead the way - show them all the beauty they posses inside. Give them a sense of pride to make it easier, let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be.
Totally agree with you..

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I remember Paul Hirst, Professor of Education at Cambridge University, remarking that however knowledgeable or skilful someone is, it is worth nothing if that skill or knowledge is not passed on. He had in mind writing, lecturing and teaching, but I think his point applies in less formal situations too.

I developed an interest in outdoor skills, among many other things, as a child from my parents and their friends and was fortunate enough to meet many people along the way who shared tips, tricks and knowledge. I hope I have been able to pass on the odd thing to my sons and grandchildren and some of the many children I encountered in my career as a teacher.

One of my great joys nowadays is reading trip reports posted on this forum by parents who have taken their children out into Nature and passed on skills and enthusiasms. Those children will still remember those magic days, as I have, when they are as old as me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE