The weirdest wildlife encounter I've ever seen!

Today the good lady and I took our dog down to the beach for a stroll. It was a mixed day, cloudy and showery one minute then glorious sunshine the next! Days like this I don't mind at all.

As we walked along the beach, the tide was just receding after high tide. So the water was well up and the beach itself was maybe only 10 meters or so before you get the shore vergetation. As we walked along the waterline with the dog in the water. My wife shouts over and asked "what's that?". I looked over to where she was looking and I saw a short tailed field vole run like the clappers down the beach towards us and straight into the water!!! :confused: , it then swam like crazy through the small waves and soon disapeared away out in the distance. I managed to follow it for some time with my 10 x 42 monocular and once it was well over 100 meters out it started swimming parrallel with the shore. I then lost it, I think it may have drowned.:(

I've seen plenty animals behave strangely in my time but this really took me by surprise. Don;t get me wrong, I've seen plenty mammals feed on the beech before, from badgers, foxes, hedgehogs, rabbits, mink, otters, brown and black rats, even stoats and weasels after rabbits and occassionally small mammals but none have ever behaved in such a way like this.Very very strange indeed. Has anyone else observed anything similar or can they offer an explanation? There were no stoats/weasels or any predators seen.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Maybe he just wanted to be a Lemming........
giggle.gif

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
No idea what was going there WS, it'll be interesting to hear what it's all about though.

Rodents do swim and dive though don't they ?

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Autumn is what some people call "Crazy season" around here because young animals are leaving the supervision of their parents and are frantic to prepare for winter. Sometimes, like teenage humans striking out on their own, they do really stupid things.

Weesi

Forager
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland
Somethings do beg belief...
I once saw a seagull fly up 80 or 90 feet and then go into a fast dive expecting it to pull up. Nope it went beak first into the pavement. Splat!.. Often wondered what that was all about...
It won't be doing that again :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Somethings do beg belief...
I once saw a seagull fly up 80 or 90 feet and then go into a fast dive expecting it to pull up. Nope it went beak first into the pavement. Splat!.. Often wondered what that was all about...
It won't be doing that again :)

That wasn't in Ullapool was it ?

I've been dive bombed by seagulls up there whilst trying to eat fish and chips

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE