The "we wimped out" trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Fellow member Davidpingu and I had arranged well in advance to do an overnighter this weekend. Dave wanted to return to a site in the Black Mountains that we went to in August, and I had agreed. Now, Dave is well known as a weather jinx, and this trip was no exception. Saturday dawned through sheeting rain, and the met office had it down as a severe weather warning for rain. I consulted the mountain area forecast and found gales predicted, with hill fog, persistent rain and low temperatures thrown in. Not good.

Dave duly arrived to collect me, and we both wimped out. Our intended site had been bad enough in strong winds in August, so we really didn't fancy it. Plans were changed, and we decamped instead to a more sheltered lowland site where I have permission.

A short walk in, and we got set up. I had been wanting to try the Adirondack wind shelter arrangement with my 3x3 DD tarp, ever since I saw it recommended by John Fenna on here. With the aid of my new Aldi walking poles (£5 each, on sale now - at that price they are disposable, but they did fine) I was delighted to find that it went up easily with loads of room to spare. I will use this again. By the way, the log was already there, and I just pitched around it.
15751349985_50a1c555aa_b.jpg

15751353745_a250ab1800_b.jpg

Having packed for the mountains, Dave had packed his new mountain tent, which was rather overkill for a lowland camp, but that's what happens when you chicken out of mountain trip. Naturally, the weather improved dramatically once we had changed plans, and we only had showers for the rest of the day.
15727634756_22f43f46d7_b.jpg

Dave had a spare tarp with him, so that was set up as protection for a fire. It functioned beautifully as a smoke collector but it kept the showers off.
15749449271_4a64bc630e_b.jpg

Now, being sophisticated sort of fellows, we didn't have camp food. We had French cuisine. Dave had cassoulet, I had petit sale. Being British we managed to burn both. Millionaire shortbread and Nice biscuits made for a dessert.

I can report that I had one of the most comfortable and satisfying night's sleep that I can recall for a long time on a camping trip, and Dave seemed to sleep well too if the snores were anything to go by. The next morning was misty but the sky was gorgeously blue.
15131369974_45a878381e_b.jpg

When the sun came up over the ridge I managed a nice shot of it through the trees.
15131365564_7ac5fbaab3_b.jpg

We packed up and walked back to the car, having had a really relaxing weekend. My thanks to Dave for his company, especially with him not being able to come out again for a while after this as there is a new baby on the way.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Quia veni, et vidi, et fugerunt! But like the others say there's no harm in that. Cracking pictures, the last one with the sun filtering through the trees is very evocative. Cheers for posting up.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I don't call that chickening out, I call that intelligent decision making. I like the Adirondack tarp setup.

Thanks. With the weather improving we probably would have been ok at our original destination, but it would have been colder, windier and less comfortable. The tarp shelter was a delight, and I will use it again for certain. Lots of room and I didn't feel the wind at all.

Hi Harvestman,

I agree with the others. Altering your plans as the situation dictates is not "chickening out." It would have been foolish to ignore the prevailing conditions.

For several years I flew light aircraft. There is a saying among pilots:

It is better to be on the ground wishing you were up there, than to be up there wishing you were on the ground!

It sounds like the two of you made a wise decision and had a great time because of it. :)

- Woodsorrel

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Where there is doubt then there is no doubt, walk away. That's rule one.

Saying This don't look good, lets goto plan B is not wimping out it's merely demonstrating the ability to adapt sensibly, sure you would of probably survived but it wouldn't of been much fun. As the video blogger Mindwiseman found out on trip to the Black Mountains around this time last year even when you are experienced & well prepared for inclement weather mother nature can unexpectedly ramp it up to where she's dangerously abusive.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
In that tarp setup, did you have the corner at the back of the tarp folded under? Am trying to work out the exact layout of the tarp.

Julia

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
In that tarp setup, did you have the corner at the back of the tarp folded under? Am trying to work out the exact layout of the tarp.

Julia

Exactly. The pegging points are the middle attachment points on the sides, and then the poles go to the middle of the other two sides. Peg down the two corners, and guy the one at the top. Lifter used at the back. Quick, easy, and very roomy. Looking at it I am considering putting two together as a huge admin area for activities with groups of children.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE