The Vosges, France, in February: what to expect?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Hi all,

A couple of friends and myself are planning a hiking trip to the Vosges in France in the second week of February. This would be our first winter trip at moderate height (up to 1424m, Grand Ballon) and hopefully a good warm up to head for the Alps, Cairngorns or Scandinavia next time. Our previous winter hiking trip was around 600m in the Belgian Hoge Venen, with about 40cm of snow, and we've been hiking in the Vosges in summer as well as most of the Tour du Ruan (up to 2494m, snow from 2200m) and to the top of the Arpélistock (3035m, snow from 2000m).

Obviously we'd rather not freeze to death just yet, so could anyone give us an idea on what to expect?
Should it be all snow and no rain or should we bring rain gear? Do we need show shoes? Is it stupid to go with sleeping bags rated for only -10°C?

Thanks in advance!
Lasse

Bazooka Joe

Tenderfoot
Oct 27, 2011
Danmark
I've only been there in the summer, but there is a ski resort very closeby called "Le Markstein" so I'd guess that there's a good chance of snow....

I'd also recommend visiting Petit Ballon rather than Grand Ballon even though it's not quite so high. You can drive to the top of Grand Ballon and there is a massive weather station there as well as a shop and café. Petit Ballon is a bit more of a hike, especially if you start at the lake at the bottom. It also has some ruined WWI fortifications if you're into military history.

Edit: Just looked through my photos, and the lake is at the bottom of Grand Ballon. I must be getting senile!

Last edited:

garethw

Settler
Hi there
The vosges are fantastic. Since I've moved back up to the north of France, I go there rather than travel all the way back down to the Alps. My favourite areas are around Xonrupt-Longemer. Great in the summer too. There are loads of guest houses, hotels and some winter camp sites.

There are lots of hiking trails up towards the Col de la Schlucht, La Bresse Hohneck...

Re: the weather, once you get past Gerardmer, you'll certainly have snow. So yes I'd take a set of snow shoes. We've been for the last two years after Christmas and always had snow, last year even at 800m.

Otherwise even if below 800-900m it rains, get up above 1000m and you'll have snow. The highest peaks are only 1300-1400m, which is small compared to the Alps.
It is also great to go cross country skiing, there are numerous pistes, skis are cheap to hire and your 'forfait' will only cost you 8-10€ per day.

We found a 4x4 vehicle made access to many of the snow shoes trails far easier.

cheers
Gareth

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Thanks for all replies!

Petit Ballon does sound interesting, Joe. Any idea whether it's possible to sleep in a bunker or something like that? Would be cool if combined with some history from the WW.

Garethw, any idea of night time temperatures in February?

Cheers,
Lasse

garethw

Settler
Thanks for all replies!

Garethw, any idea of night time temperatures in February?

Bear in mind its a mountain, ski resort desitination so you will have snow and negative temperatures in February. I would imagine its going to be in the 0 to -5 °C at night. Naturally the higher you go the colder.
Last time we went there was lots of snow, & the lakes at Gerardmer & Longemer were frozen, but depending on the temperatures you might only have a sprinkling at the base of the ski stations.

Xonrupt is only at about 700m so often you'll get rain here, but above 1000 you'll have snow.

Check out this site : http://fr.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/home.do Its in French, but if you type "Vosges" into the 'Recherche' box you'll get the various trails for hiking, snow shoeing and skiing....

cheers
Gareth

Bazooka Joe

Tenderfoot
Oct 27, 2011
Danmark
Sorry Lasse, but I didn't see much left of the bunkers apart from concrete rubble. You can see the trench lines still, and there's some barbed wire here and there, but none of it is too obvious unless you know what you're looking at (for example my wife didn't believe me!). I did some internet searching when we came home and convinced her in the end though!

garethw

Settler
Sorry Lasse, but I didn't see much left of the bunkers apart from concrete rubble. You can see the trench lines still, and there's some barbed wire here and there, but none of it is too obvious unless you know what you're looking at (for example my wife didn't believe me!). I did some internet searching when we came home and convinced her in the end though!

Hi there
The Petit Ballon is at 1200m so this area will have snow in Feb, doubt you'll see much in the way of war relics...

Check out this site for info: http://www.tourismevosges.fr/fr/?lan=UK

cheers
Gareth

garethw

Settler
Hi there
Just got back from the Vosges... Abundant snow in most places over 700m. All ski pistes are open and the trek trails a real winter wonderland. We mostly hiked around the back of Xonrupt near the Lac de Longemer, and and did some cross country skiing at the Schlucht.

cheers
Gareth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE