The Virgin Paddler

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Puddock

Nomad
Nov 7, 2010
Dumfries and Galloway
I took my new (well new to me) canoe out today for the first time. I purchased a second hand Pelican as I didn't want to spend a huge amount on a first canoe, and I also wanted something that could be bashed around whilst we learnt the finer points of canoeing and also car topping! I am really pleased with the canoe, I have nothing to compare it to, and it seems to do all that I want in the short term. I will no doubt buy another canoe in a year or so, but this will do just fine to learn the ropes.

I went on my own for the first outing as I wanted to get a feel for it before I added the kids to the front :) Plus their PFD's had not yet turned up, so they will have to wait another week!

5627886212_051238acc6.jpg

Barley the Labrador didn't want to be left out and had followed me!

5627304733_bc1499ed09.jpg

It was my first ever time in a canoe and I have to say that it was extremely relaxing to glide along, I will have to master steering, I found that I had to keep swapping the paddle from side to side after every three - four strokes, whereas videos I have watched show people only having to put strokes down one side of the canoe, but generally I had no problem in stopping, moving backwards or turning.

5627311565_c6e44eb4bf.jpg

It's safe to say that I am hooked, and looking forward to spending a summer afloat. For a budget canoe the Pelican seems to be a great starting place, and something that I will be able to pass onto the kids once I get 'my' canoe :)

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Good stuff Puddock ! Where are you paddling ? it looks like a good bit to practise in ! happy canoeing

Jason

aeveling

Dec 2, 2006
Salisbury
Brings back memories of 2 weeks canoeing in British Columbia last summer (dodging the 400 + forest fires!!! around Bowron lakes). We were shown something called (I think) the 'j stroke' which allows you to paddle on one side only and stay in a straight line.
Have fun!

Andrew.

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Glad you got sorted out Dan, and you look like you're really enjoying yourself. Love the dog swimming after you. Looks a great spot too

Dave

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
What a nice place for a first paddle!

Well done on the boat. I've not been paddling long and am hooked on it too, its a great way to get around.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
nought wrong with switching sides, it's actually more efficient than J stroking.

If you have kids in the front and you are switching sides, swing the paddle blade behind your head, rather in front of you. Avoids splattering the kids with water off the paddle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE