The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Hi guys,

Could anyone help me with identifying these? Fungus 1 was growing in grass under the shade of trees, and fungus 2 was in a wooded area....

Fungus 1
fungi1.jpg

Fungus 2
fungi2.jpg

Top one is Macrolepiota rhacodes (Shaggy Parasol). The other one is a member of the genus Suillus, and the type of conifer would help to confirm which one it is. Maybe S. granulatus.

Floyd Soul

Forager
Jul 31, 2006
The woods, Ireland.
Thanks a million Geoff. I came across shaggy parasol whilst trying to ID it but never made the connection.

The Suillus fungi was growing beneath a woodland area with Scots pine, sycamore, ash and beech. Scot's pine was the only conifer though.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
The Suillus fungi was growing beneath a woodland area with Scots pine, sycamore, ash and beech. Scot's pine was the only conifer though.

Were there lots of them or just one? I'm guessing it's probably Suillus bovinus, but you usually find loads of these if you find any at all. Edible but rather soggy and tasteless - not recommended.

Last edited:
This is a great fungi thread - I really enjoyed browsing through! Does anyone know of any good courses out there (preferably in Wales) that take you through it over a weekend? I know there are a few courses out there (thanks Google) - but having been on a number of different types of courses over the years, I know that some are considerably better than others.

Thanks!

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Hi all,
Found this fungi growing on a cherry tree at the weekend,not surre what it is my guess would be a young chicken of the woods ? But i thought they grow on oaks and willows
fungioncherrytree2.jpg

xhalmers_860

Mar 22, 2011
Cardiff
Thanks for your help on this, I'm a moreless beginner

Found in Scotland today. I took one home and cut it open - there were at least a dozen and i saw them in different places. If I find out its edible I'll wish I took a couple!

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
This was posted before the other thread,but thanks for your help.Have you been ID fungi for long?

More than twenty years. And that may not even be COTW. It does look a bit odd - the smell would be the giveaway.

Strangely enough, by far the biggest Chicken of the Woods I ever found was more than twenty years ago. It was one of the things that really inspired me to get into mushrooms. It was roughly the size of a full-grown sheep and I've never seen one remotely that large since.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
It was roughly the size of a full-grown sheep.

Good grief! That's a lot of fungus. You sure it wasn't a sheep?! ;) I've never seen anything remotely that size either. A few giant polypore are the largest I've ever seen.

By the way, bracket fungus on an oak stump, at least a foot across and 6 inches thick (upper surface to lower), mottled yellowish above, grey below, weeping yellowish fluid from large pits/pores in the upper surface (some of the fluid got into a cut on my hand and stung like disinfectant). Would that be Inonotus dryadeus?

I know you're going to ask me for a photo, but I haven't worked out how to get it off my phone. If you like, I can go back with the camera. I'm fairly confident of the identification, but it isn't a species I've seen (or at least noticed) before.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Good grief! That's a lot of fungus. You sure it wasn't a sheep?! ;)

Funny colour for a sheep...

I've never seen anything remotely that size either. A few giant polypore are the largest I've ever seen.

The largest fungus I've ever seen was a giant polypore growing on the remains of an oak in Savernake Forest. That was more like the size of a small car, in total. It must have been a monster of a tree.

By the way, bracket fungus on an oak stump, at least a foot across and 6 inches thick (upper surface to lower), mottled yellowish above, grey below, weeping yellowish fluid from large pits/pores in the upper surface (some of the fluid got into a cut on my hand and stung like disinfectant). Would that be Inonotus dryadeus?

I know you're going to ask me for a photo, but I haven't worked out how to get it off my phone. If you like, I can go back with the camera. I'm fairly confident of the identification, but it isn't a species I've seen (or at least noticed) before.

I'm going to ask you for a photo. :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
:lmao: I knew it! Ok, I'll try to remember the camera tomorrow.

I'm curious about that fluid though. Wonder if it could be a bushcraft disninfectant or something, or just a good way to poison/inflame a wound. Wonder what it consists of, besides water...

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
I saw these beauties today. Never seen fly agaric before. No idea what the big buggers are though!

6d97c1b7-3f97-4bff.jpg

6d97c1b7-3faa-307a.jpg

Sent from my flying horse using tapatalk.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Yes, nothing quite compares to a good show of Fly Agarics.

As for the big ones...you can't tell from the photo whether those are actually mushrooms (with a stem and cap) or puffballs turning brown. If they are mushrooms then I'm guessing they are orange birch boletes (Leccinum aurantiacum).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE