The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Spotted a decent troop of these the other day in some deciduous woodland leaf litter, thought they were Amethyst Deceiver's (Laccaria amethystea) but wasn't sure and didn't bring any home.
One of my books lists them as inedible and the other lists them as prized for eating but not exactly filled with flavour.
That's just assuming I'm right on the identification of them.
I'll nip over and get some more, see if the spore print is white just to be sure.
The colours of the pictures aren't really as bright as in real life.

DSC00333.jpg

DSC00332.jpg

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Yes, that's Laccaria amethystina.

They go that colour when dry. They are usually more purple. As for their eatability...the only purpose they serve (IMO) is to jazz up a collection of mixed wild mushrooms, mainly before cooking. When cooked they lose their colour and go a drab grey, they don't taste of much and are so insubstantial that they also are irrelevant from the point of view of bulking out the dish. Edible but pointless...

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Yes, that's Laccaria amethystina.

They go that colour when dry. They are usually more purple. As for their eatability...the only purpose they serve (IMO) is to jazz up a collection of mixed wild mushrooms, mainly before cooking. When cooked they lose their colour and go a drab grey, they don't taste of much and are so insubstantial that they also are irrelevant from the point of view of bulking out the dish. Edible but pointless...

Thanks, the bit about lacking in flavour sounds about right as the book I have recommends "frying in bacon fat" which to me is a euphemism for
"Tastes like diet nowt".

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Hi folks, This little fella made an apperance a few days ago and I cant find him in my mushroom book.

can sombody help me out with this one.

2mcynw8.jpg

so as not to confuse anyone the white bit on top is a chicken feather

many thanks

Craig

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Hi folks, This little fella made an apperance a few days ago and I cant find him in my mushroom book.

can sombody help me out with this one.

2mcynw8.jpg

so as not to confuse anyone the white bit on top is a chicken feather

many thanks

Craig

Egg-head mottlegill. Panaeolus semiovatus. Always grows on horse****. :)

I love this photo (not mine)....(from http://www.personal.u-net.com/~chilton/261x.htm)

261x.jpg

Last edited:

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
I've got a few for ID if anyone can help. I'll post them one at a time.

Here's the first

f14b1e5a.jpg

829d676f.jpg

45dafaaf.jpg

Knife has 110mm blade for scale.

Found growing under pines with some scrub birch and willow.

Thanks

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
No. 2

3d8184b2.jpg

c36131b2.jpg

6866e214.jpg

I'm guessing at saffron milk cap for this one. There are quite a few about, all growing along the edge of paths and roads in a scots and Corsican pine wood. Here is a mature sample

cd1939a4.jpg

Thanks

Mark

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
No.3

f83c0562.jpg

84acc761.jpg

d7dad482.jpg

Found today in grass alongside scots and corsican pine. The cap was about 100mm and the ground is very sandy.

Thanks again

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
Last one for now

No.4

bc64ddab.jpg

e03912f8.jpg

642dbb33.jpg

d0aa6ab9.jpg

Under scots and Corsican pines again, along the woodland edges. Caps vary from 75mm to 150mm. The younger samples are lemon yellow/straw coloured underneath like this

9d30b205.jpg

Thanks in advance

Mark

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Last one for now

No.4

bc64ddab.jpg

e03912f8.jpg

642dbb33.jpg

d0aa6ab9.jpg

Under scots and Corsican pines again, along the woodland edges. Caps vary from 75mm to 150mm. The younger samples are lemon yellow/straw coloured underneath like this

9d30b205.jpg

Thanks in advance

Mark

Slippery Jack (Suillus luteus.) If you've got really yellow ones then they might be Jersey Cow Boletes (Suillus bovinus.)

Last edited:

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
Slippery Jack (Suillus luteus.) If you've got really yellow ones then they might be Jersey Cow Boletes (Suillus bovinus.)

Thanks for all the answers Geoff. I wasn't sure at all about the slippery jack, I thought they may have been weeping bolet. This one was really shiny with a very yellow underside, which I thought may have been slippery jack, the others ranged from yellow to ochre brown

fc897f60.jpg

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE